Windows 10 Explorer doesn't refresh after copying file off network share

I've seen tons of posts about Explorer not refreshing until you hit F5, however I haven't found any that specifically identify at least one of the causes. 

I have a Windows 10 Pro "Creator's Update", with a drive mapped to an old SMB server. Everything works fine until I copy a file off that share, then starting with that file, Explorer will no longer refresh on any further file copies/deletes, etc - until you hit F5.

This has to be a bug. I'll save some lazy answers with the following facts:

- No it doesn't have a virus or malware, I do not need to scan. This is a fresh install.

- Running sfc /scannow or that other image fix utility does not work, because there's nothing corrupt to fix.

Hi Glenn,

There are several reasons why File Explorer's doesn't refresh. It could be caused by a corrupted hard drive, outdated drivers, and applications. We encourage you posting this as a feedback using the Feedback Hub. We'll gather additional details and information about your concern that will help determine the cause and address it. The feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses to see what we're doing about your submission. Revisit frequently for status updates.

For more information on Feedback Hub, see our support article and YouTube video

. In order to submit a new feedback, please follow the steps below:

1. Type Feedback Hub in the Cortana search and press Enter.
  2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, click + Add new feedback tab.
  3. Select the Problem, and share the details you want to us to know, and choose the appropriate category and subcategory.

Note: Reproduce your concern if possible while is monitoring is enabled. To do this, click Begin monitoring or Start Capture to start recording and Stop monitoring when you’re done.

1. Once you've completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.  
  2. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted.
  3. Open the item you submitted, then click Share.
  4. Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response(It will look like https://aka.ms/<unique link>).

You can perform a clean boot to rule out the drivers and applications. For now, you can apply one of these workarounds to address the File Explorer's refresh issue:

1. Reset Windows Explorer. Open the Task Manager and look for Windows processes under the Processes tab. Right-click Windows Explorer and select End task. Click the File tab and click Run new task. Type explorer.exe inside the box and press Enter.

2. Restore defaults on your Desktop icons. Right click on the desktop, then click Personalize. Select Themes and click Change desktop icons, then press Restore to default. Press OK.

Feel free to post back if you need further help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi there, thanks for the response.

It's a fresh install and a brand-new PC. So it's very unlikely to be things like malware or corrupt HDD, etc. 

Since writing, I was able at least isolate the problem to happening only when I map a drive to an old SMB server. Taking the computer to a different location and connecting to a newer SMB server, the problem doesn't occur.

My guess is that this has to do with compatibility between the SMB protocol implementation that Windows 10 uses, vs. the old 4 year old SMB server. 

My solution is to replace or upgrade the old SMB server to new.

Any one else who is having this problem should comment on:

1) What kind of server they are connecting to. IE: Microsoft Windows, Linux running Samba, Mac OSX with it's SMB.

2) What version is the OS of the server.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 6, 2024 Views 3,574 Applies to: