Windows 10: Disk Management: Volumes not assigned/ No Right CLick menu

My Problem

Windows 10 Laptop, plugging in external USB DVD Drive no longer recognise by computer

Main drive has several system partitions that show as Drive D & E in windows explorer however have no drive mapping in Disk Management

I want to assign these drives out of sequence letters to see if the CD drive is clashing and will display after I force the HDD to different letters.

When I Right click on one of the unlabeled volumes, only option is help.

If I right click on the C or V volume I get a full menu list including the Change Drive letter option.

Any suggestions?

Hi Crispy,

I appreciate your efforts and time.

1. Did you make any changes prior to this issue?
  2. Did you try to change the drive letter from the Boxes showing up under Disk 1? 

As I can see only NTFS partition are showing the other options. So it depends on the File system. 

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

Restart the computer a few times and check for Windows Updates.

In the Search box on the taskbar, enter Windows Update, select Windows Update. On the Windows Update page, select Check for updates.

I suggest you to take back up of the data in both D-drive and E-drives.

Right-click on the drives in File Explorer and format the Drive.

Once it is done, then copy the data back to the drives.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.             

Thank you.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

These unlabeled partitions are normal, and shouldn't be interfering with your other drives. For more info, see About those extra recovery partitions. I think the CD/DVD drive issues are unrelated. Try the steps in A disk's status is Not Initialized or the disk is missing  - they won't all apply, but some might help you troubleshoot the issue. Good luck!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2023 Views 2,680 Applies to: