Windows 10 - Desktop Icons Displayed as Black Squares & Windows Explorer Icons Not Working Properly

This problem began on my computer shortly after the lastest Windows 10 update was installed on my computer - I am currently running Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.494).

The icons that are associated to Programs I have installed to my PC ARE displaying correctly (Adobe, Kindle, Mozilla Firefox, Chrome, Word, Excel, Dropbox, etc.).

The icons that are associated to FILE FOLDERS and COMPUTER APPS that came with the computer are black squares (i.e. Ower, This PC, Network, Recycle Bin, Control Panel, Documents, Pictures, etc.).

This problem is also affecting Window Explorer.  I also cannot get the NAVIGATION PANE to show the folder tree on the left side - it is completely blank. The folders and files show in the middle pane, but the folders as mentioned above have black squares instead of icons, and I cannot apply new icons.

When I try to change the icon for a folder, I get an error message, but if I click OK the window with the icons to select from comes up. I can select an icon, and click apply and the new icon updates to the icon on the Shortcut Tab of the Properties folder, but does NOT update to the file folder itself. The next time I open the same properties window, the icon is back to the black square again.

I believe many other people have similar problems on previous versions of Windows. Perhaps this information will help someone at Microsoft to troubleshoot a fix, or does anyone know if a fix is available? I cannot find any reference to a patch for this problem, 

specifically for Windows 10. Thanks for any help - I can live for awhile with the desktop blackouts but I am really annoyed with the issue affecting the view panes in Windows Explorer!

Hi,

I realize that you are facing the issue with the icons in Windows 10, let me assist you.

This issue might occur if the drivers are corrupted, outdated or it might occur if there are any software conflict in the system. 

Before proceeding to further steps of troubleshooting, try updating the display drivers and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows key + X key and select Device Manager.

• Find and double-click Display adapters.

• Right-click the device listed and click Update Driver Software.

• Click on Search automatically for updated driver software and follow the on screen instructions.

• Restart the laptop after updating the drivers and check if it helps.

If the issue still persists, check and let us know if the issue persists in Safe Mode with Networking.

Refer to the below article on Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

If the issue doesn't persist in Safe Mode with Networking, perform a clean boot and check if it helps.

Clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows 10.

Refer to the below article on How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: After performing clean boot, refer to the section How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting to boot the system in normal mode.

Hope this helps. Kindly write back to us with the updated status of the issue for further assistance on Windows, we'll be glad to assist you.

Thank you
Mohan B P

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Mohan.

My display is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 630, upon search for update the answer was "The best driver software for your device is already installed".

Therefore I performed the "Start your PC in safe mode with Networking" step and the problem still remains.

What do you suggest now please?

Lyla

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried to do an SFC scan and repair under the administrator command prompt but that wouldn't complete: sfc /scannow

Beginning verification phase of system scan.

Verification 35% complete.

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

I am also wondering why my System Information / System Summary report lists my Hardware Abstration Layer as Version 10.0.10586.420 when my OS Build is listed as 10586.494.

For the File Explorer issue I used Task Manager to end the process, then ran EXPLORER.EXE to reset - didn't fix the problem of no file folder (left) pane either.

FYI my PC is an i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, and was purchased with Windows 8. I did the free online ugrade to Windows 10 a few months ago. My computer ran fine until the last update was automatically done in July.

Lyla

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1) Further to the File Explorer problem: I have found out that there is no file tree (left pane) when I open file explorer. However, if I am in Word, the file tree is visible when I Save / Save As files. Does this help at all with solving the problem?

2) I ran a virus check on my PC and there were a few threats found and quarantined but no viruses.

3) I made an ISO file (using the MediaCreationTool.exe program) to reinstall Windows 10. Is this a new file off the internet, and is safe to use, or will it still contain the errors that I am experiencing because it used my PC to build some of the system files?

I could really use some advice on how to reinstall Windows 10 on my PC, as this looks like it is going to be the only solution to fix my problems.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Any update?
Video/Download black squares and Documents/Images white squares in Windows Explorer even here!

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No update from me, but I too have the black squares on my desktop icons. I don't have them in Explorer, nor do I have the missing file tree. I thought I had fixed them by a) increasing the size of the icon cache, and b) rebuilding the icon cache. That lasted through two reboots, but now the black squares are back, and the rebuilding no longer works. All desktop icons except for the recycle bin (which is a custom icon) show the black square.

I too ugraded from Windows 8; I have a Yoga 3 Pro with a Core i5, with Intel HD 5300 graphics adapter. Drivers are up to date.

This is very annoying.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I forgot to specify that the Yoga display is not-quite-4K, with a resolution of 3200x1800.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This seems to have done the trick:  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3606-shortcut-arrow-change-remove-restore.html

I installed the Vista Shortcut Manager, set my shortcut arrow to nothing, and when I logged off and back in, the black squares were gone.

Two reboots since, and it's still working...

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 6, 2024 Views 62,791 Applies to: