Windows 10- can't save stuff to the Desktop

Since I uninstalled Norton security I lost the capability to save stuff to the desktop. I'm also unable to locate a solution to fixing it via google information till now stumbling into win10 support. I purchased my HP Envy on-line via Costco but didn't  receive the shipping till

Dec2016. I've read many instructions on this website but the most hopeful one doesn't give the right answer. I'm unable to follow this because I can't keep it to the desktop for any follow up.

* Moved from Mobile Devices

* Original title: win10

[Moved From: Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization / Desktop ]

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Luis,

Having no administrator access is one of the reasons why a user has limitations in accessing or saving files in the computer. Answering the following questions may help us in resolving the issue:

1. Aside from uninstalling Norton, were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue?
  2. Do you have an administrator access to the computer?
  3. Are you getting an error message or code?
  4. Have you tried creating a temporary user profile to isolate the issue?
  5. What troubleshooting steps have you already performed?

Regards.

2 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am the only owner and administrator of my computer. Since I uninstalled norton security the issue started immediately. I have no idea what causes it and Norton

denies they have nothing to do with the issue. I will continue with the recommended steps 2-5.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

1. Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue? Yes, uninstalled Norton security application.
  2. Do you have an administrator access to the computer    Yes
  3. Are you getting an error message or code?   No
  4. Have you tried creating a temporary user profile to isolate the issue?  No 
  5. What troubleshooting steps have you already performed?  all possible kinds of trouble shooting but ms refuses to help.  

3 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

A corrupted user profile may cause this issue with your computer. To isolate the issue, let's follow these steps  to create a temporary user profile and check if the problem persist:

On Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional editions:

1. Select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Accounts > Family & other people > Add someone else to this PC

2. Enter a user name, password, password hint, and then select Next.

On Windows 10 Enterprise edition:

1. Select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Accounts > Other people > Add someone else to this PC.
  2. At the bottom of the page, select I don’t have this person’s sign-in information, and at the bottom of the next page, select Add a user without a Microsoft account.
  3. Enter a user name, password, password hint, and then select Next.

To make the new account an administrator account, select Start  > Settings  > Account Family & other people (or Other people, if you're using Windows 10 Enterprise), and select Change account type. Under Account type, select Administrator > OK. Restart your machine and sign in with the new administrator account.

Let us know if you need any other assistance.

4 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey

Just wondering if you found a solution?  I had a similar issue today and managed to solve it.  I previously used AVG and uninstalled it today as I was hacked off at the constant upgrade nag screens and false positives it generates.  I went back to using MS Security Essentials.  I noticed a setting therein regarding folder access and turned it on.  Later in the day I came across the issue of being unable to save to the desktop.  Turning off this setting solved the issue.

My guess is that uninstalling Norton automatically turned that setting on.  PIty no-one at Microsoft thought to suggest that.

22 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey

Just wondering if you found a solution?  I had a similar issue today and managed to solve it.  I previously used AVG and uninstalled it today as I was hacked off at the constant upgrade nag screens and false positives it generates.  I went back to using MS Security Essentials.  I noticed a setting therein regarding folder access and turned it on.  Later in the day I came across the issue of being unable to save to the desktop.  Turning off this setting solved the issue.

My guess is that uninstalling Norton automatically turned that setting on.  PIty no-one at Microsoft thought to suggest that.

YES!

I had the same problem of not being able to save files on the desktop, I did several tutorials, including creating a new user. When I just set up a new profile, I went to test it and was sure to save again in to desktop. Five minutes later, I could not save anymore. Very frustrating.  The process is easy to complete.

The solution is in MS Security Essentials...

Go to Settings > Update and Security, click in Windows Defender on left tab and then click in Open Windows Defender Security Center

In new window, click in Protection from Virus and Threats > Virus and Threats Settings and TURN OFF Access to Controlled Folders.

Cheers

214 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I just had the same issue but with another solution. I recently activated OneDrive and it was saving everything on my desktop to the cloud. 

Find OneDrive in the task bar and open it > Settings > Autosave > select "This PC only" from the dropdown menus.

5 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah. It works. Thanks

2 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Many thanks ! I'm just back from two years with Apple, and I'm very frustrated to find that since then, microsoft is still struggling with UX. To name just a few : screenshots with no easy access crop feature, multiple desktops that you can't reorder, big troubles with 4K screens, bing, headache to connect with smart tv  and so on... I pray that I could be back to Apple. I also feel like the only skilled people here are the users, a word to the wise !

3 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

THANKS!!!

I was pulling my hair for  week.

5 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 12, 2021 Views 28,707 Applies to: