Windows 10 - 100% Disk Usage

I installed a clean version of Windows 10 RTM.

I have an Alienware Aurora R4

Intel CoreTM i7-4960X E

256GB Kingston SSD

Raid 5: 3- 2TB WD HDD

32GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz

eVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB 128-Bit

I installed Windows 10 and during the install, it said it was taking longer than normal. Then when trying to setup my PIN, there was an incredible lag between when I typed and it appeared on the screen. I figured it was just loading things in the background.

When I load into Windows, I could move the mouse, but nothing else was responsive. It took about a minute to open up the start menu, when I opened the Task Manager, my disk 1 (C:) is at 100% utilization. Meanwhile my CPU is at 5% 2.72GHz, and my memory is at 8% 2.6/31.9GB. 

I opened up the Resource Monitor and my System process was Writing 10,449,246 B/sec. Disk Activity was at 100% Highest Active Time.

I've tried installing Windows 10 on the 256GB Kingston SSD. I tried installing it on my Raid 5. And both are pinning the disk at 100%.

I read a couple of articles, I tried disabling UAC, killing Superfetch service, killing Microsoft Defender, and my disk is still pinned. My drivers are fully installed with the exception of 1 PCI Simple Controller.

UPDATE - 9/1

I have been working with Windows 10 without this issue for about 3 weeks now. I installed the updated drivers from Dell. Disabled Cortana, stopped sharing updates from the internet.. a little bit of everything in the comments below, and my machine is not being pegged anymore. I think this is a very hardware specific issue, that is affecting certain configurations, but I do not know the rhyme or reason. I get random crashes of my video card, maybe once a week, but I can deal with that. When I see an answer that most people feel is an answer to this problem, I will mark it as the Answer.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Answer
Answer

Windows Key + R

services.msc

Stop and disable: Windows Search, Superfetch, and Background Intelligent Transfer Service

BITS will re-enable if your computer is restarted and alone will put you disk to 100% so just remember these steps

457 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 18, 2022 Views 83,148 Applies to: