Who is "TrustedInstaller" and why do they seem to have more control over my computer then me?

I have been removing some files to clear some space and found that despite being the Admin I am unable to delete them because they are from "TrustedInstaller". When I go into security settings it wont let me change anything to do with it and I can't remove it. I find this incredibly frustrating as I own this computer and expect to be able to control what goes on it.
Answer
Answer
Hi Euan,
I am Sumit, an Independent Advisor and a 3 year Windows Insider MVP here to help.

Files whose owner is TrustedInstaller means the files are protected by Windows to prevent the accidental breaking of your computer. TrustedInstaller is usually the owner of all system files in C: drive and folders on other drives which are related to the OS, for example WindowsApps directory.

I am letting you some generic steps to gain space:

To gain space, follow the steps here:
First of all, eliminate all useless files on C:/ by using Disk Cleanup.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3012-open-u...

Make sure you have checked System files option after the first scan.
Also,
Treesize should tell you which files and folders are taking up the space.

https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/
It is worth checking the Users folder and its subfolders with it.

Please let us know if you need any assistance.
Disclaimer:
There are links to non-Microsoft websites which would provide accurate and safe information. Watch out for ads on the websites which are frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). There is no need to buy paid products to fix your computers as they do more harm than good sometimes.
Sumit

Always include PC Specs, Make and Model of the device. Ensure all the latest quality updates have been installed. It may take multiple replies to reach a satisfactory answer.

63 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2024 Views 45,689 Applies to: