Viewing Shared and Un-Shared Folders Accross a Workgroup

I have two computers running Windows 10 Pro, version 18363, they are on a peer-to-peer network.  For Both Computers A and B, In the network sharing options for private networks, I have tuned on file and print sharing and turned on Network discovery, and automatic set up of network connected devices.  In guest or public settings I have turned off network discovery and file and printer sharing.  For all networks I have turned on use 128 bit encryption, turned off password protected sharing and turned on sharing so that anyone with network access can read write in the public folders and turned on sharing so anyone can access the public folders

When I am on computer B and I double click computer A in file explorer/ Network,  I can access computer A's Folders.  There is a folder labeled Users, and when I click on it I see all 11 users folders including the Public user folder.  If I try to access any of the 11 user folders, except for the public folder, i get the message "windows cannot access [insert folder name].  If I try to access the Public folder I have access as expected.

If I am on computer A and click on computer B, under file explorer/ network, and I click on the users folder, I can only see the Public folder, I don't see any other user folders.

A couple of days ago I could only see the public folder and I didn't see the other 11 user folder when I accessed the user folder for computer A on computer B but it has changed, because I ran the command line: net use "users" /d.

After I did this, I was able to share the users folder but I don't remember how.  I have been going over my notes for the past couple of days but I didn't write anything down to show how I was able to share the user folder.  I also remember seeing a check box that had to do with showing sub-folders but I can't seem to find it.

If there is anyone who might be able to help me get the user folder working correctly and to let me know if there Is there a way to only show the Public folder when I access computer A's user folder from Computer B I would appreciate it.

Hello i'm Timon and i'm glad to help you.

In command line, you can type net share to display all shared folders.

Follow this page to learn how to share a file / folder in Windows 10 workgroup:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/409269...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Timon, Thank you for reading my post and for the reply.  Yes I've read the article, you liked in your answer.  It's a good article and it helped me to understand more about sharing but it doesn't solve my problem completely.  For my problem I had to change the user folder settings in order to get the user folder on Computer A to share,  Normally I would just click the radio button in the network settings and the folder would be shared, but I think I messed this up by using the delete command.  I was able to share the users folder but now all sub-folders under user show instead of just the Public folder which is not what i was expecting.  I'm looking for a way to filter out the other users sub-folder and just leave the pubic folder visible,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply.
Understood your concern !

So, what would i do ?

I would compare the shares between the two computers.
Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type fsmgmt.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open the Shared Folders MMC.
Expand open Shared Folders in the left pane, and click/tap on Shares.
On computer A, I assume the folder c:\users is shared and this is not the case on B.
I would delete this share by right clicking on it.
The two computers should now have the same shares.

It might be sufficient to solve your issue.

If not, i would disable / enable public folder sharing in computer A.

Fingers crossed !

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Timon.  Thanks again for following up on my post.  I think we may be getting close to an answer but we are not there, just yet. 

I'm not sure I'm explaining the problem correctly and I may be a little confusing in my explanation, so I am going to try again.

If I am on computer A and click on Network (in file explorer), I see computers A and B.  If I click on B I see a folder for Users (it's a folder with a green tee below it, sorry I don't know what the icon is called).  When I click on the users folder for computer B, I see a folder called Public and a couple of miscellaneous files,  I don't see any of the user folders for computer B.  On computer B I have five users, but none of their folders show when I open the users folder when I'm on Computer A.

When I am on computer B and open the users folder for computer A I see 8 folders. I should not see 8 folders I should only see the one folder for Public.  I am not sharing any folders on Computer A except for the Public folder. I have attached a screen shot from both computers to help explain the situation.

This is the screen shot from computer A

Here is a screen shot from computer B, it should look like A but it doesn't,  I am not sharing any of the user folder listed below, except public.  How do I get the screen below to look like the one above.  Just the public folder?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That's a detailed reply !

On computer B, as we see all users, we can deduct that computer A shares the whole c:\users\ folder.
I would like to be sure that this share do not appear in the share folder list of computer A.
I would not understand if this is not the case !
Can you confirm this please ?
Did you managed to compare the shared folder list on the 2 computers ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Timon, I am not sure I am following your instructions correctly.  Here the screen shots from the two computers.  they both have the users folder as shared?  I'm not really sure what I looking for lol, but I hope this helps.

This is the view on computer B

This is computer A

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, that's what i wanted to know !
But i'm not happy with this because i don't know what cause this issue...

I have a last idea, but i'm not very confident.
Please check and compare the share permission and the security tab of the Users share.
You can do this by double clicking the share in the Shared Folders console.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Timon,  Thanks for trying to help me out with this.  I have checked the permissions and they appear to be the same.  Thanks again for your help!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm afraid i have no further idea.
I release the question and i hope someone could may help you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 1, 2021 Views 1,796 Applies to: