transferring .wav audio files

I need to transfer .wav audio files externally from sd and CF card reader to external hard drives for my work.

I have updated  my laptop to windows 10, and this now doesn't seem possible to do.

I tried to copy and paste from CF to external drive.

While doing this the directory said something about authorisation.

I selected skip, and only the folder name has been transferred, and the original files have been corrupted and will no longer play even in the device they were recorded in.

Any insight anyone?

Thanks Phil

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Phil,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

• What is the exact error you are getting regarding “something about authorization”?

I suggest you to scan the SD AND CF reader devices and try to transfer the files once again and check if any issue persists.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry, I was a bit vague, just seeing if some-one might recognise what's happening.

More detail....

When I try to copy folder or single file Groove music opens, and shows the list of  wav files

Each file has a blue G symbol in front of file name in green

When I copy then paste, a dialogue box appears saying...

File access denied

you'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file

continue     skip    cancel

I then attempted "Send to function, and got "File access denied You need permission to perform this action you require permission from everyone to make changes to this file.

what concerns me more though is that the orininal file on the card which I recorded it has been corrupted just by letting windows access it....This is really concerning and means I am unable to back up my work recordings. In fact I can't let them near my computer running windows 10 without corrupting the files!

Any thoughts?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the exact same issue as are a number of other professional sound mixers. It appears that when accessing a card reader via USB with Broadcast Wave Files on it (possibly other types of files as well), Windows 10 immediately strips some of the metadata from the files on the original media which is not copy protectable. This renders the files unplayable and they can only be accessed by any flavor of windows with a hex editor afterwards.

If I have the files on another networked location and bring them in via wi fi or Ethernet there are no such issues. So...it appears to be related to something Windows 10 is doing initially when reading the files from a USB connected reader.

Furthermore, I've found that every time I connect a card reader with a card, I am queried about what action to perform, I select "do nothing" or "open the files to view in explorer" and Windows 10 does NOT remember those settings and I'm queried once again upon reconnecting an external card reader with card. I think the corruption happens during this querying period.

This is 100% duplicable on many computers with a number of different users. It's a real problem and needs a solution ASAP. Microsoft lost the majority of the professional video and sound community to Apple many years ago and now that we have an OS with great promise, the professional media community is having their files mangled and destroyed in this fashion. I for one live in Seattle and regularly work sound recording jobs at Microsoft and I'm going to have to tell the people I work with that I can't transfer the recordings I just made of Satya, Bill Gates, Kevin Turner and other execs on my Windows 10 computer until this is solved. Please escalate this as quickly as possible, it's real, and it's a pain that isn't going to be fixed in this forum.

Feel free to email me directly for my phone number if someone needs a better explanation. If someone in Redmond is working on this, I'm happy to drive over and demonstrate in person some day soon.

Thanks!

Charles Tomaras

Sorry this didn't help.

I too have had this problem with files recorded on a CF card on the Sound Devices 633 recorder, software version 1.04 read on an Anker USB 3.0 external card reader.  The recorder will mirror the recordings to an SD card and interestingly that card can be read fine on the computers internal SD drive. CF card is a Sandisk Extreme 32GB 60Mb/s formatted FAT 32, SD card is a Sandisk Extreme 64GB 45Mb/s formatted ExFAT.

Sorry this didn't help.

I can also confirm that this corruption does NOT happen with a small portable USB drive on the same USB ports. It's oddly just CF and SD cards via a reader.

Sorry this didn't help.

as Charles said 

I had this problem and it would have been a disaster if my Sound recorder have a mirroring save option 

when you insert a card to Windows 10 you won't be able to playback and even wave agent wouldn't recognize your files as Audio files, even when you remove the media and plug it back to the sound devices recorder 633 it won't be able to play back !
thank god i thought of trying the backup card on my mac and the day was saved !

it was a disaster if that back up was also mounted into windows 10, as today's job was an interview with the Queen of Jordan, and guess where do i live ! "here is a hint I live in Jordan".

so that would have trashed my career for good in Jordan ! 

this is a matter of an extreme importance if Microsoft doesn't want to lose it's Pro Audio clients, some of out work is worth millions and others can be priceless and i would not think windows would love to take the blame when such a problem get's pointed to there direction.

I hope this get fixed soon or i'll be droping windows for good from my workflow as it would be a risk to my clients.

cheers !

Sorry this didn't help.

This is probably an attempt by Windows Groove or Media player to autosync the CF card or other device or card reader plugged into a USB port with the media library.

Try the following to turn off the ability of Windows 7, 8 or 10 to treat USB attached devices as Media players with media to add to your media library.

Media player cannot differentiate between a media player and any other portable device so the only viable method I have found to deal with this issue is to diasble the autosync enirely.

This will also stop Win7 from auto-syncing images and everything else but you will still be able to manually transfer files to and from your media players and cameras and no important Win7 functionilty is impaired.

Click Start and then Run... (Or the shortcut is Windows key + R)

Type "Services.msc" and press Enter

Scroll down to "Portable Device Enumerator Service"
Double click and change "Startup Type" to "Disabled".

To return your system to normal simply change "Startup Type" back to "Automatic"

Try that and let me know if that works to prevent windows from modifying the source files.

Normally It shouldn't affect the original files but perhaps in their quest to make the Windows Media Player and Groove have more info on your media files, it may be trying to add metadata that if finds on line (like Album art and lyrics  etc...)  Although it shouldn't be able to find anything online for your original recordings it may be adding a default info chunk or something to the wav file  that may make the file un-playable in the original recorder that is looking for file chunks in a specific order.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Courtney,

I have just followed your instructions and it fixed the problem instantly.

I am now happily copying files again!

Thanks to one of our own for saving the day!

Had this not resolved today, I would have had to revert to Windows 8! Or worse still to Apple!!!

It is a shame that the Windows personnel don't seem to have taken our issue seriously!

But for you, it may have added to the migration to Apple!

I still think that Windows need to do some sort of patch, as I think the default settings of the OS should not be able to modify our audio files!

Thanks again for your help.

Phil

Sorry this didn't help.

CORRECTION...

I MANAGED TO COPY ONE  FOLDER OF FILES, BUT CANNOT REPEAT THIS

SO BACK TO SQUARE ONE...

FILE ACCESS  DENIED

HELP MICROSOFT....!!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Courtney,

I tried this and it did not work for me but I think you have us on the right track, the sound report will copy and it is a .csv file so it does seem to be an issue with the .wav files.

I noticed that when I went through your procedure to disable the portable device enumerator that mine was set to "manual" and not "automatic". I went ahead and set it to "disabled" and changed the file association on .wav files from Groove Music to Wave Agent. I haven't had a chance to log out or reboot the machine as I have another large transfer happening right now, when it finishes I will do that and see if that makes any difference and report back here if it does.

Edit 8/9/2015: I rebooted the computer and the problem persists, I even created a non-administrator account to see if it would let me enter an administrator password after the error message. I was able to enter in the password but the .wav files will still not copy. A little extra background data that might be helpful, the files in question that will not copy have the file names appear in green in the file explorer window. The .csv file names, the ones that will copy off of the card, appear in black just like all other file names either on the computer or external mounted drives. Hope this sheds some light on things.

Cheers,

Dave

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 28, 2020 Views 5,149 Applies to: