Thumbnails after installing Windows 10 Fall Creators Update?

After updating to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, I noticed that the thumbnails for my folders and files keep refreshing or re-creating itself. I had the same problem with the previous version of Windows 10, but at least then it took days or weeks to refresh or re-create the thumbnails, but now it's constantly doing it. Really annoying! any help?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup

Question Info

Last updated July 16, 2018 Views 7,512 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Corrupted thumbnail cache is one of the possible reasons why it keeps on refreshing or re-creating itself. To reset the thumbnail cache on Windows 10 using Disk Cleanup, you can follow the steps below:

1. Open File Explorer.
  2. On the left pane, click This PC. Right-click the C: drive where Windows 10 is installed, and select Properties.
  3. Click the Disk Cleanup button
  4. Check the Thumbnails option, and uncheck all the other options.
  5. Click OK.
  6. Click Delete Files to confirm and to complete the task.
  7. Restart your computer.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you try creating a new local user account to isolate the issue. To create a new local user account, kindly follow the steps in this link.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

This seems to happening to a lot of us since the recent update to 1709. From what I've seen elsewhere a temporary solution is disabling the task which "cleans" the thumbnail image cache, which is obviously running far too often since the update.

See here:
https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/96198-after-creators-update-2-thumbnails-cache-keeps-auto-deleting-3.html

They suggest: ("To do that, run Regedit.exe and browse the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Thumbnail Cache
Modify Autoruns DWORD and set its value to 0 and reboot your computer.
Now Automatic Maintenance should no longer delete your thumbnails.")

45 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

According to another post:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/after-fall-update-windows-10-puts-a-maximum-size/6ad0a1e7-38c0-4547-9b8b-f7f3906c3a12

Looks like the fall creator update puts a limit on thumbnail cache size, which result in "reflesh" all the time especially for users with lots of images/videos.

Sai Chu Lau

Sorry this didn't help.

What are these folders? whenever Windows refresh/rebuild thumbnails they would appear in one specific hard drive. Any ideas why?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey all, I am experiencing the same issue. It seems completely random the times that the problem occurs, for the last 24hrs after using the disk clean up tool everything seemed fine, even after waking the laptop from sleep this morning. Then this afternoon I saved a new file from my browser to an existing folder and that immediately caused all the thumbnails to refresh???

I am not sure this is related, but the taskbar app icons preview of opened apps seems to stop displaying the pop up image of the opened app as well since the Creators Fall update. I have only just noticed this and am unsure if its at the same time as the File Explorer thumbnail refresh bug. Hopefully an update fix will be issued soon.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Eric, can you please confirm that Microsoft are aware of this issue and that a fix update is being worked on. This issue seems to be effecting a lot of Windows 10 Fall update users. Its now becoming very annoying, happening numerous times throughout the day. Many thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Microsoft is already aware of this issue and is now working on it. We encourage you to submit this issue using the Feedback Hub. You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new issue. When you submit a feedback item, we gather additional details and information about your issue that will help determine what’s causing it and address it. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please revisit frequently to see the status of your feedback items.  

In order to submit new feedback, please follow these steps:

1. On a Windows 10 device, search for “Feedback Hub” in Cortana search, then launch the app.
  2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback.
  3. Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
  4. Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you’re done.
  5. Once you’ve completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.
  6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
  7. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear).
  8. Open the item you submitted, then click Share.
  9. Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (it will look like https://aka.ms/<unique link>).

Should you have further queries, feel free to post it.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Eric for confirmation of Microsoft is on the case. This link is to feedback I posted a few days ago. I tried to capture the error but could not get my system to do it at the time of posting, It seems to happen completely randomly. Today I have spent all day trying to fix my system with a non functioning taskbar, unable to do anything other than force shutdown and restart. Numerous attempts from forums have finally got it going again, had enough of technology for today.

My Feedback link.

https://aka.ms/St3z31

Also another similar thread on answers discussing the same problem.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/after-fall-update-windows-10-puts-a-maximum-size/6ad0a1e7-38c0-4547-9b8b-f7f3906c3a12

Sorry this didn't help.

We appreciate your time posting this issue in the Feedback Hub. We consider suggestions and comments provided by our users. These queries are being collated, reviewed, and can be considered for future updates.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist you.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm also facing this issue in windows 10 fall creators update☹. Did a clean install still the issue persists.

Microsoft please fix the issue soon 🙏

Sorry this didn't help.