System Restore Write Protected Issue

Alright, so let me just get right into the problem. So, I had this problem in a program that I didn't know how to fix and to quickly fix it I tried to system restore as I tried everything with the program itself. Then, the system restore fails due to Spotify.exe in the WindowsApps folder. (C:\Users\aksel\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps) And here's the problem. I can't go and delete the previous System Restore files because of Windows duh. I deleted the file off of my system with giant tampering with it to no avail to fix the problem.

Is there some tool to edit System Restore files or something? The System Restore is the earliest so there's no hope going back to one without Spotify. The tool would also require some cmd tool because deleting the Spotify.exe file was harder than deleting System32. Only the CMD got it deleted after a while of tampering with it.

The main question is, is there a fix to this. I cannot go back to system restores anymore due to the Spotify.exe and I don't just want to do a clean Windows install just for such a small problem in my program, and only in that program.

Somehow, I got into the system restore files by going into the folder and going into the properties of it, Previous Versions, and opening the one what had the Spotify.exe. It was weird and the path was something like;  \\localhost\C$\Users\aksel\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps (‎Sunday, ‎January ‎21, ‎2018, ‏‎19:16) but I couldn't delete anything in there. Damn weird. Setting permissions for me in the folder resulted in "Error Applying Security; Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied." error. This just feels outrageous that I cannot do that on my OWN system that I own.

Just need a tool to delete stuff inside System Restore folders. (With some cmd option because the file just doesn't want to be deleted normally.)

Thanks.

After writing this (not publishing yet) I figured out some ways to try and get the files for myself. I got it working with /takeown command in CMD, BUT the media was "write-protected". Still searching around for ways to bypass this.

EDIT; Saving this for myself - \\localhost\C$\@GMT-2018.01.21-17.16.04\Users

Moved From:

Question Info

Last updated April 2, 2019 Views 283 Applies to:

Hi,

For you to delete the files, you need to take ownership of the folder.

"I got it working with /takeown command in CMD, BUT the media was write-protected." - In this case, we suggest booting your computer in safe mode, then try to change the permission.

You may also check New Win8 user's post from this link on how to change the permission.

Please post back with the result for further assistance. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

For you to delete the files, you need to take ownership of the folder.

"I got it working with /takeown command in CMD, BUT the media was write-protected." - In this case, we suggest booting your computer in safe mode, then try to change the permission.

You may also check New Win8 user's post from this link on how to change the permission.

Please post back with the result for further assistance. 

New problem, Safe Mode doesn't recognize the file path and refuses to go there.

Im just feeling im trying to go way too far into the operating systems workings. Maybe I should just reset my PC, would've been quicker.

Unless you know how to RegEdit or Service the files to work It just seems like its kinda there and users can't get through it. But I'm still interested about these hidden folders so I'll still probably try to find a way to this.

EDIT: Eh I'm just gonna reset my computer there doesn't seem to be an another logical way to do it, but still thanks for your help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.