Storage Spaces Drive Inaccessible

My Windows 10 server auto updated, restarted, and my storage pool stopped working.

It shows up in Storage Spaces - all drives green and has about 3TBs of empty space - but the drive itself is inaccessible. I've tried PowerShell commands to Repair-VirtualDisk and such to no avail (it says completed but changes nothing).

ReclaiMe sees the files but I can't recover them either.

I am desperate to recover these files. Lots of old family photos there. Everything shows up green in Storage Spaces, it just can't/won't load. I even moved it to a different Windows 10 computer - same issue.

Answer
Answer

Try this:

For those of you, like me, who lost control of one of your storage spaces and could not access it through the GUI, which would only show an error existed but would not allow you to "Change Settings", I managed to find a solution.

From an Administrator PowerShell prompt:
    Get-StoragePool | Where-Object {$_.IsReadOnly -eq $True} | Set-StoragePool -IsReadOnly $False
Wait for the process to complete, then:

Get-VirtualDisk | Where-Object {$_.IsManualAttach -eq $True} | Set-VirtualDisk -IsManualAttach $False

It worked for me. I now have my storage space back and the GUI works. I hope it works for those of you who have the same problem.

I should add that you must first install the PowerShell StorageSpaces module from:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/storage-spaces-module-for-4be70a0c

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 1,073 Applies to: