Source Path Too Long bug in Windows 10

MS operating systems have had problems with file path names that are 'too long' for years. However, they seem to be worse in Windows 10 Pro.

I have a number of files - produced in Windows 8.1 - that I cannot move, copy or rename, as follows:

I can’t drag any of them to a folder higher up the hierarchy – or to DropBox, or to the desktop.

I can’t drag any of them to (copy to) an external drive. Here’s the error that comes up:

Ironically I AM TRYING to 'move it to a location which has a shorter path name'!

I cannot double-click (slowly) on the filename in order to edit it.

A BUG is that, if I right-click on one of these files, File Explorer closes the window (i.e. crashes).

I have also tried selecting a group of files which includes the offending file, using shift-click, then trying to Zip the group, or copy etc. Fails when it gets to that file.

Using the 'Move to' or 'Copy to' commands in the File Explorer ribbon doesn't work.

the 'Rename' command in the File Explorer ribbon is greyed out.

Questions:

1. Is Microsoft going to solve this problem of backwards-compatibility between W10 and W8.1?
  2. Will MS fix the bug: right-clicking on the file crashes the File Explorer window?
  3. Does MS plan to provide an effective solution in W10 to path length? MS tech people have been promising to look into it for years on many forums, but it's just got worse with W10.
  4. Are there simple (i.e. no registry hacking, no creating virtual drives etc.) solutions that ordinary folks can apply in W10?

Question Info

Last updated August 16, 2018 Views 71,003 Applies to:
Answer

342 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.