Send to Compressed folder - "File not found or no read permission"

Since upgrading to Windows 10 I have not been able to create a zipped folder using the explorer options "Send to >" "Compressed (zipped) folder". The error given is "File not found or no read permission"

This error is occurring for folders off the root directory "c:" however does not seem to occur for subfolders.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community Forums. Your interest on Windows 10 is appreciated.
I understand the inconvenience that you are facing. We are glad to help you.

I would inform you that even we checked in several Windows 10 computers. This is by design. So if you want to provide a feedback on this, you may provide it using the Windows feedback app.

Please post it on this website:

https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Thank you.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

How can we fix this problem? 

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

You may try to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

1. Go to Start menu and then click on Settings.
  2. Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
  3. Select Add an Account.
  4. Enter a user name and press Next.
  5. Click on Finish.
  6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
  7. Check if issue persists.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks James, attempted to provide feedback by the link you identified. Unfortunately I get an access denied message. With regards to not being able to create a zipped folder using the explorer options "Send to >" "Compressed (zipped) folder", I'm still thinking its a bug and would love to see a fix released or even an exe or script that changes the permissions on the root folder so that we can use it like any other folder.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Amit, would prefer to have a patch, exe or script that fixes the existing problem. Creating new user accounts is fine for some users but as a developer this is not an appropriate approach

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing this information.

If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A bit of an update on the issue. Due to a crashed hard drive, I've reinstalled windows 10 on my workstation using the USB boot option (previous install was upgrade from previous Windows OS). This has fixed part of the problem as I now get an option to send the zip file to the desktop. Still unable to compress the file to the root directory. This has also fixed a DDE launch issue that I have had since upgrading to windows 10 (DDE launch XML file with XSL reference in iExplore. Have not worked out how to do this with MS Edge).

Based on this the send to zip file error is an upgrade bug with Windows 10

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community Forums. Your interest on Windows 10 is appreciated.
I understand the inconvenience that you are facing. We are glad to help you.

I would inform you that even we checked in several Windows 10 computers. This is by design. So if you want to provide a feedback on this, you may provide it using the Windows feedback app.

Please post it on this website:

https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Thank you.

The above is the most worthless response I think I've ever seen on a tech forum.   So far I've wasted 45 minutes trying to make a compressed zip file.  Then I find this unhelpful response from a microsoft flunky who should have been fired the first day of orientation.  This is a bug, not a feature.  Calling it a feature is an insult to anyones intelligence.  I demand James Jenith be fired immediately also I demand an option to mark a response as unhelpful as this clearly is.  Microsoft deserves complete and unfiltered feedback from their clients.

121 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A bit late to this party but I will echo BMAN_MS,  This is a terrible response, even by Microsoft standards. I do hope in the 14 months since his post you have returned the id10t Jenith James to the village that was left shorthanded by his absence.

Amit's answer is slightly less insulting, yet somehow manages to convey the message that Microsoft Tech Support folks think themselves above the very people that posed the question they too can't answer and are trying to sidestep.

Pro Tip:  Throw this in your else clause instead of RND(****).  "I understand your issue.  I do not know the answer to resolve it, but I shall do my best to find someone who does.  You may look forward to hearing from me shortly."

THE FIX:  The issue seems to be when you have a file open by another program in the directory you are trying to zip up  I had an excel file open and closing it resolved the issue.  

If this doesn't make sense (not trying to be condescending just thinking of people like my mother reading this), reboot your machine and try to send the folder to zip as the file first thing you do after rebooting.

Kind Regards and try not to favor the 1s over the 0s.  Both are equally important.

288 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 5, 2021 Views 34,499 Applies to: