renaming favorite’s folder in file explorer in windows 10

Original Title: Renaming Favorites in Windows 10 

Hello everyone,

My question is:
How can I rename favorites in the windows 10 file explorer?
And why on earth would the Microsoft Windows Developers be so unbelievably stupid and kill the feature of renaming the favorites in the file explorer? Seriously I can't wrap my head around this. It's as you completely ignored what users need or used.

I have used the favorite feature extensively, as many other users did as well. But now in Windows 10 you changed the logic.
I have at least 15 Folders somewhere that are named 2016 and containt relevant information.

e.g.

Topic1\2015

Topic1\2016

Topic2\2015

Topic2\2016

and the list goes on for very long.

If I add now the "quick access" in the file explorer, it shows: 2016 , 2016 , 2016 , 2016

Thank you very much for completely screwing up the favorites functionality in Windows 10. I garantuee that this feature will be fixed within the next 2 years, therefor I can only applaud to so much lack in thinking ahead of what happens with your new logic you implemented regarding the quick access.

Best regards

Lars

Hi Lars,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you sign out from the current user account, restart the pc and sign in to the Microsoft account and check the status of the issue. Install all pending updates on the computer. Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

We have tried in several computer running Windows 10. We were able to rename favorite’s folder in file explorer.

I suggest you to follow the Steps and check if that helps.

1. Click on Start button and select File explorer.
2. Select This pc and double click on c: drive.
3. Double Click on users and right click on favorites and try to rename.

If the issue persists follow the Methods below.

I suggest you to log into safe mode and check if that helps.

Method 1: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

If the doesn’t issue persists follow next Method.

Method 2: Perform a Clean boot

Perform a clean boot to check if any third party application is causing the issue, as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

How to troubleshoot problem by performing clean boot in Windows: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note:  Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan N

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Pavan_N,

Thanks for taking time to answer. However I do not see that this generic answer is covering the problem I am talking about.

Sorry for not being specific enough:
I am talking about the Quickaccess Section within the Fileexplorer.
So if you open the file explorer in the default you will see in the top left section the Quick Access for Folders/Links like "Desktop" ; "Downloads" ; "Documents" & some more.

Description of the problem in detail:

If I browse through a network drive or my own computer drive, I can open a specific folder and then add this location to my quick access so it appears among the previously mentioned Quick Access Shortcuts.

In Windows 7 and in Windows 8 these self-made quick access short cuts could be renamed as wished.
However in Windows 10 it is not possible to rename these.

Could you please explain to me why you would remove this feature?

Thanks and best regards

Lars

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Lars, What you says surely makes sense. This in fact was asked/raised earlier, see links below. Click Start, type Feedback, click Windows Feedback, and send in your feedback to MS.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/rename-pinned-items-in-windows-explorer-quick/ddf15e5b-d8e4-4d17-aced-86048da6ced4

http://superuser.com/questions/1051533/is-there-a-way-to-make-windows-10-quick-access-links-identifiable

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ramesh, Windows Shell MVP 2003-2012.
If this post resolves your issue, pls mark it as an Answer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply! This is very helpful, at least I do not feel left alone with the problem anymore, I can see a lot of people complain about this shift in logic with the "pinned" items.

However, I can't even give feedback they way you showed me, as my organization (company) is managing the data privacy aspect and therefor I can't change the option to allow my feedback to be sent to Microsoft.

But I can garantuee that MS Windows will change their logic in the next (hopefully) months so that you can rename pinned items. Anything else is just useless **** good for a big portion of users, but never for all, as renamable pinned down shortcuts are.

Best regards

Lars

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Lars,

Yes. Including the ability to set a "friendly" name for the Pinned items would be very helpful.

Favorites links are stored in a shortcut file. But Quick Access does not use the .lnk file format, but stores the Pinned items listing in a single .AutomaticDestinations-ms file. The file structure for .AutomaticDestinations-ms is explained here: http://forensicswiki.org/wiki/Jump_Lists
(FYI)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ramesh, Windows Shell MVP 2003-2012.
If this post resolves your issue, pls mark it as an Answer.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 7, 2024 Views 5,396 Applies to: