Rename pinned items in Windows Explorer? (Quick Access)

In Windows 10 all the items in Quick Access renamed themselves to the original name of the actual folders they point to rather than the names I gave them.

How do I give pinned items a unique name?

For example, I have a number of clients, and each of them has old revisions, and the Current version of the work. I pin the Currents, and rename them (Bill, Joe, etc.) which worked in Windows 8. Now I just have a whole row of Current, Current, Current...

Question Info

Last updated April 1, 2020 Views 16,504 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Here's a variation on this which is also very annoying.

I noticed if I go to Quick Access and change a path to point to a folder on another drive (ex: "Music" has a new path to "D:\fun party music"....it renames the folder on the other drive to "Music" with the cute little blue musical note.

Caused some worry when I thought my folder had been deleted. Luckily I was able to rename it back, but I can forsee helpdesk calls increasing from people who suddenly can't find their family photos. This a new behavior in Win 10.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Almost 2 weeks later, is anyone at MS doing anything about this?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue as the OP - I have many directories with the same name, but in different namespaces (e.g. different subdirectories). This is an intentional feature of my company's standardized file naming scheme. On Windows 7, I was able to differentiate among them by renaming the shortcuts in the Windows Explorer "Favorites" list. Now, with Windows 10, the File Explorer "Quick Access" list appears to only support showing the actual name of the underlying directory.

At a glance, this may seem like a minor issue, but it's already been a major productivity hindrance in the short time that I've been using Windows 10 because I use the Favorites / Quick Access list so many times throughout the day. Please support nicknames for the directories in the Quick Access list in an upcoming release.

159 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I see this as more than annoying it is not even really usable, for example I have more then a couple of drives on my computer, and have several folders that are named the same on the different drives as an example Data, or even within a drive, several "data" folders. I was able to drag the folder to the "favorites" in windows 8 and give them a unique name, not so now. One might say to rename them specifically as the folder but some programs require the "Data" folder in a specific file path, I hope this can be corrected ASAP

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I see this as more than annoying it is not even really usable, for example I have more then a couple of drives on my computer, and have several folders that are named the same on the different drives as an example Data, or even within a drive, several "data" folders.        

Same deal, I have multiple drives, local, attached and server based... and used to rename my Favourite folders so that I knew which folder was on the NAS or which one was USB, or Local etc. Now it seems in Windows 10 the Folders are actually Live and not Shortcuts.

I tried using Properties to rename the folder in the QuickAccess menu, but of course that changes the Actual Folder name! - Disaster looming in a production environment where path based linking to original graphic files is critical.

Please Microsoft, re-instate the ability to use Favourites  in the Explorer Menu and have shortcuts that can be renamed the way we used to. Maybe you can have the Option for users to choose Quick Access or Favourites?

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This is truly unacceptable. Even if you don't have folders from different locations with the same name, the names are often too confusing to know what they are without seeing the full path first.

Why in the hell would Microsoft take away our ability to rename our own shortcuts without renaming the original folder? I know they often change things in Windows, Office, etc. from version to version and people don't necessarily like those changes, but this one is a very clear mistake. I better not hear a response from Microsoft trying to feed me some BS about how it was designed that way and it's for the better, because it's just not. It's terrible in fact.

Speaking of which, where is Microsoft on this issue anyway? Are we ever going to hear from them, possibly with a workaround or promise of an update to fix this in the future? It's been a good while now.

Sorry this didn't help.

I found a solution that works great - I just spent the past two days rebuilding my primary laptop with Windows 7.

I'm not saying this to be flippant; I'd been using Windows 10 for the past month, and it's been a productivity killer. From minor issues such as this one, to application incompatibilities, to frequent catastrophic freezes and crashes, I spent almost as much time in August just keeping my Windows 10 machine running as I did actually doing billable work on it.

IMHO, Windows 10 isn't ready for production use yet, at least on a traditional laptop/desktop for IT consulting work. I'm sure it will get there, but if you don't need a feature that is exclusive to Windows 10 right now, it might be worth downgrading for a few months/year to let Microsoft and the bleeding edge users work out the kinks.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This REALLY needs to be fixed.  

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Exact same issue.  We have a file structure for all jobs.  I used to be able to drag folders from various jobs and rename them.  Now I have a bunch of links that look the same.  These developers seem to be very short sighted.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been complaining about this since day 1. I haven't found a single response ANYWHERE on the internet that addresses this issue from Microsoft's point of view. And I've found hundreds and hundreds of people complaining about it. Sadly, It is pretty clear that Microsoft couldn't care less that they took away key functionality and I suspect they have no intention of doing anything about it. The fix for this would take no time as this is a trivial issue to fix. At the same time, this is a show stopper for anyone working with Network attached storage and non trivial directory structures in the business world.  A TON of business users will find themselves affected once they switch to Windows 10 and their work-flow will be broken without any possible alternative.

Given the absolute silence from Microsoft, I think the best solution is to downgrade to Windows 7. 

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.