No text in File Explorer & other programs, or in right-click menu

I installed the recent Windows 10 feature update, as well as a Microsoft security update for Adobe Flash Player. After the updates finished and my computer restarted, I noticed that no text appears in File Explorer anymore. When I right click some things, some text is also missing, but not all of it. All of the options in the right-click menu still work when I press them, there's just no text identifying what that option.

As an example of my File Explorer problem, here's an image of the program on my computer.

I should note this seems to only affect some programs, like FileExplorer and also the music application foobar20. When I use FireFox, everything works fine, including right-click menus. When I use Microsoft Edge, there is no text in the right-click menu when I right-click the top menu tab, but text appears when I right click links in the main window.

Any idea what would cause this error and how I can fix it?

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Starting your computer in Safe Mode will help us narrow down the issue. We can start your computer in safe mode by following these steps:

1. Press Shift + Restart combination.
  2. Wait for the PC to boot up then select Enable Safe mode.

Looking forward to your reply.

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2024 Views 41,940 Applies to: