My documents are lost after windows 1809 upgrade

Hi,

Today 10-4-2018 I noticed that my files in the Documents folder have disappeared.  This Documents folder is in the C drive (Hard drive).  The Documents folder is there but it is empty.  Two days earlier (10-2-2018), I upgraded my PC to windows 10 version 1809 (unfortunately I did not back up my data).  I did not check for my files on the day of the upgrade and neither in the following day (10-3-2018).  But today 10-4-2018, the Documents folder is saying it is empty.  I restored the PC to the previous build of windows (1803),  but the Documents folder is still empty.  Could this have occurred because of 1809 upgrade.  The restore obviously did not solve the problem.  I also did not do anything unusual with my PC since I remember accessing these lost files in the Documents folder.  All the rest of folders with files inside them (Desktop, Downloads, One Drive, etc..) are intact, but the Documents folder is there but it is empty!.  Is there anyway to restore these lost files from the hard drive?  Many of them are very important to me.  Thank You 

N. Odisho

10-4-2018

Question Info

Last updated June 5, 2019 Views 2,551 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Same Thing happend to me just today Oct. 07 Germany time

Everywhere it says that only People who pushed to get the update got it.
I was not even home, when i came back from work, i did not push to get the update, all was gone, now my Windows is like newly installed.

I found all my Documents under the userfolder - username, and although i log in Windows with my Name and Password, it is a new user: TEMP

How can i set it back to the other user? I hope i get all my Browser Passwords back that way also.

FBIFour 

PS. I found out in the Internet that some people got it all back after 3 or 4 times rebooting, some after 2 days. I did about 3 or 4 reboots, now i got everything back.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Is there anyway to restore these lost files from the hard drive?

Did you have File History enabled?  Have a System Image Backup from that?

Wow.  It looks like Settings is out of the picture.  It may have lost control of File History and Backup!  Use PowerShell to find out what is going on with your Backup

Get-ControlPanelItem Back* | Show-ControlPanelItem

BTW I only have 17134.286  so this symptom is not just in 1809...  Oh.  It may be that I don't have enough space on my external drive any more.  Time for another one I guess.  Otherwise cleaning it out would be both tedious and potentially hazardous.

Also, you should check your OneDrive.  Perhaps files were saved there.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle

---

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, 

This is a follow up to the original inquiry that started this post.  I want to find out if it is save to use third party software to recover lost data from the hard drive.  There is a program called EaseUS, that promises to recover lost data from the hard drive of a PC.  How save such a program is?.  Also this program can recover data size between 500Mb-2Gb for free.  If you want to recover larger sizes of data (Which in my case, the lost data is between 3.5GB-5Gb) you must buy the pro version for over sixty dollars.  Thank you

N. Odisho

10-7-2018

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, it has something to do with 1809 upgrade. Microsoft has now figured out the cause for data loss and produced a fixed 1809 update (a test version distributed to Windows Insiders at present). 

To recover lost files in Windows 10, you may use the Windows.old folder or try a professional data recovery tool.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

First , do you think the current version of windows (1809) on my PC is not safe?  Should I restore my PC to version 1803 and wait for the fixed 1809? Secondly,  I tried to recover the lost files through windows.old, but the lost files are not there.  Finally, I think Microsoft should work to provide the users with a recovery software, This should lower the potential new problems of using the too many third party softwares that are available online.  In my case I lost between 3.5GB-5GB of data and honestly, I don't trust a third party software to access my PC hard drive.  I have a very new and capable PC (Dell XPS desktop, with 8th Gen Core i7) and my expectations were high not to encounter such a problem, but unfortunately, Microsoft has proved that their windows 10 OS is still unreliable (I guess it is truly the end of times).   

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same issue. I'm glad I backed up my files using my external hard drive. I spent nearly 2 hours today having a live chat with two different support agents from Microsoft and neither one could help me very much. One agent blamed the lost files/inaccessible folders on a One drive issue. Then had me synch up to one drive online. Which I didn't want. 

The second agent basically tried their best to find the issue but it was the same thing. They wanted me to access one drive to recover my files. I think there's a large flaw in this update. I wouldn't be happy if i'd lost my entire school or work project. Let alone my entire music collection. 

I'm just going to reinstall the files I had saved prior to the update. I was very disappointed with the lack of support for this issue. I had updated back in Oct of 2018 but rolled it back because I had lost a number of files and folders. This shouldn't happen. I also don't think the file loss should be blamed on a product many people may not even use in the first place. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Today 10-4-2018 I noticed that my files in the Documents folder have disappeared.  This Documents folder is in the C drive (Hard drive).  The Documents folder is there but it is empty.  Two days earlier (10-2-2018), I upgraded my PC to windows 10 version 1809 (unfortunately I did not back up my data).  I did not check for my files on the day of the upgrade and neither in the following day (10-3-2018).  But today 10-4-2018, the Documents folder is saying it is empty.  I restored the PC to the previous build of windows (1803),  but the Documents folder is still empty.  Could this have occurred because of 1809 upgrade.  The restore obviously did not solve the problem.  I also did not do anything unusual with my PC since I remember accessing these lost files in the Documents folder.  All the rest of folders with files inside them (Desktop, Downloads, One Drive, etc..) are intact, but the Documents folder is there but it is empty!.  Is there anyway to restore these lost files from the hard drive?  Many of them are very important to me.  Thank You 

N. Odisho

10-4-2018

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately, it's still broken. If I'd known how badly MS was going to treat my PC I'd have stuck with windows 8.1, along with all it's quirky weirdness.

Sorry this didn't help.

123woxall

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Neilodisho,

I just updated to 1809  on 4.7.2019 and my pictures folder almost got wiped out.

Funny thing is. All the items in my onedrive that was backed up are there. But all the other pictures are gone!

I have the free 1GB storage, so after that was full, all the data not on OneDrive apparently is worthless to Microsoft.

I think Microsoft is deleting photo's that aren't backed up with OneDrive.

Which can only be a massive violation of terms of use by Microsoft.

Or its horrible coding and the one drive backed up data was just downloaded again.

Hey Microsoft! This is the second time I lost my user data updating with windows 10.

I  just lost thousands of photo's.... 

I'm sure I can recover them with tools but now i have to spend hours doing that!

I have some old backups too so its not a complete lost.

Ok... I Vented, i feel a bit better.

Ya know, this feels like they have a script in their update, that copies the user folder, but somehow a permission error occurs because they didn't but in a /zb switch in robocopy and it didn't copy with backup rights. Missing some files.

P.S.

Microsoft, I will never Trust your software to do another update again! And the Second there is a real alternative to Windows. I'm gone. Which may never happen....

(EDIT)

Ok so after more searching - all my files were in the recyclebin for some strange reason.

Why would 1809 update put all my files not in One Drive to the recycle bin!?! SERIOUSLY!

Ok crisis averted... all my %userprofile% files are back.
yo yo yo

Sorry this didn't help.