Microsoft Camera Codec for Windows 10

I am trying to get my Canon RAW Cr2 files to show in Windows Explorer. I shoot a lot of photos and this process was a quick easy visual reference to those photos when needed. Now with my current version and Canon camera my thumbnails do not show. I looked into the issue and it looks like I need a Camera Codec pack update. I went to the Microsoft camera codec page

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/result.aspx?q=camera+codec+

I didn't see a codec that works for my computer. I even tried a 8.1 as that was my computers original format but the ones tried said my system did not support them.

Here is my info.

WIndows 10 Home version.

x64 processor

Version 1709

Operating System Build 16299.192

Please help and let me know what link works. I saw a link for a 3rd party option Fast Viewer, but is this not something I can do through Microsoft?

Brent

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup.

Question Info

Last updated April 7, 2020 Views 14,256 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Up until around mid 2016, camera codecs were added to Windows 10 automatically by Microsoft via Windows Update, which meant Windows File Explorer would display raw files natively without the user needing to do anything.

For some reason Microsoft stopped updating the codecs around mid 2016 (I think Windows 10 1607 was the last version that contained the latest camera codecs).  Therefore, Windows File Explorer will natively display raw files for cameras up to the Canon 80D (which was announced 2016 Quarter 2), but it won't display 5D Mk IV or later cameras (which was announced 2016 Quarter 3).

For the record, this is a Microsoft thing as Apple still automatically update codecs for their customers.  For example Apple's support site lists cameras up to the Canon EOS 6D Mark II (which was announced 2017 Quarter 3) as currently supported for IOS and MacOS:

31 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.