.lnk files

The OneDrive Support team have told me to delete the following .lnk files as they are preventing a full sync. But they've also expressed caution:"Some applications may depend on these links to function properly. Remove only the links that you know are safe to modify".

I haven't a clue which are 'safe to modify'- can you help please?

[Original subject: . INK files]

|
Hi again Taffy,

lnk files are basically the shortcuts (icons) you use to start the software you have installed on your PC

If those files are on your Desktop and you delete them, you would need to access those files from the Start Menu instead or add a shortcut to your Taskbar to access those

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

That'll do for me Dave. It might also explain why another two shortcuts on my desktop aren't working. I'll delete them straightaway. Many thanks, as ever. ;o)
version 21H1, OS build 19043.1083
You MUST visit "Sharing experiences and staying safe, together" - see Andreea_C's profile

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

[I fear you're muddling things because of the fact that in the standard Windows 10 font, a capital I and a lower-case l are identical.

The files have an extension of .lnk.

The forum you posted in deals with the handwriting and drawing feature known as Windows Ink.]

The files that can't be synced are simply links (as the support staff told you), so there's no real need to keep them on OneDrive where they wouldn't work anyway. They are the files that contain the data needed to launch a program when you click on its icon, e.g. on your desktop. Can you see in the OneDrive status which folder these files live in? I suspect the desktop, if you're busy protecting your Known Folders. 

Your screenshot doesn't show what options are available to you. You want to skip or ignore these files.

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. [I fear you're muddling things because of the fact that in the standard Windows 10 font, a capital I and a lower-case l are identical.

The files have an extension of .lnk.

2. The forum you posted in deals with the handwriting and drawing feature known as Windows Ink.]

3. The files that can't be synced are simply links (as the support staff told you), so there's no real need to keep them on OneDrive where they wouldn't work anyway. They are the files that contain the data needed to launch a program when you click on its icon, e.g. on your desktop.

4. Can you see in the OneDrive status which folder these files live in? I suspect the desktop, if you're busy protecting your Known Folders. 

5. Your screenshot doesn't show what options are available to you. You want to skip or ignore these files.

1. thanks for this comment - I really didn't know it was 1nk not Ink.

2. The forum in which I posted seemed to be appropriate - I now realise it isn't.

3. I wasn't given the option of keeping them on One Drive or not. They just appeared when OneDrive was working away.

4. I'm not busy protecting my Known Folders - as I said in another thread, I'd never heard the phrase 'Known Folders' until you mentioned it there.

I can't see where they are kept - OneDrive was still busy syncing until I paused it just now. The only option it gives me is to resume syncing. It says "OneDrive is paused, Your files are not currently syncing. Tap or click here to resume syncing and keep your files up to date".

5. It won't let me take a Screen Print, presumably because OneDrive is paused.

I got OneDrive back by renewing my Office365 Home Personal a month earlier than I needed to. The support staff gave me a link to the latest OneDrive, but when I installed it, it just set off processing 13,500 changes - I wasn't given any options of what to select, it just went ahead. So you can see what a struggle it has been - I never even found out what caused OneDrive to vanish in the first place.

I've unmarked Dave's answer so he may wish to comment nut until I can get OneDrive to stop syncing 13.500 files, I'm going to continue to struggle, aren't I? ;0(

You MUST visit "Sharing experiences and staying safe, together" - see Andreea_C's profile

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Noel - an afterthought: re #1 (below), is the list of "Files can't be synced with OneDrive" actually in standard Windows 10 font? They're from a OneDrive list.

"in the standard Windows 10 font, a capital I and a lower-case l are identical."

I paused the Updating files yesterday - for a week, so I could get my head around this issue. But as soon as I powered up three hours ago OneDrive was again 'processing changes'. I might as well let it get on with it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OneDrive Support have confirmed that the files are definitely .lnk files - short for Links, not .1nk.

Thank you all for your help.

I've taken advice HERE and have decided that I don't need the benefits of OneDrive Cloud - I managed perfectly well before without it. My laptops never leave my home and I backup to a USB stick every day.

Thanks again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

... is the list of "Files can't be synced with OneDrive" actually in standard Windows 10 font? 

Yes. Almost every text item you see in Windows 10 - menus, dialogues, error messages etc. - is in the standard Segoe UI font. It's the same one as used at this website (unless you change it in your browser, of course).

That's why I used a typewriter-like font (Courier New) to try and illustrate the difference between the lower-case 'l' in .lnk and the capital 'I' in Ink. I should apparently also have posted a figure '1' to avoid any possible confusion with that character. Here they are again:

Courier New

Segoe UI

Lower-case l

l  lower-case

Capital I

I  capital

Figure 1

1  figure

You have to look carefully to spot the difference between the lower-case 'l' and the figure '1' in Courier. You may remember that on old typewriters, there was no figure '1' and you had to use a lower-case 'l' instead. Similarly capital 'O' was used instead of figure '0'. This had to change after computers were invented. 

Another little factoid: the extension .lnk was introduced in the days when file names in DOS-based Windows could only consist of eight characters, with the option to add a dot and an extension of up to three characters. It's just an abbreviation of the word link, in the same way that .doc was used for (Word) document and .txt for text

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As I said yesterday, OneDrive Support has confirmed that these are definitely .lnk files - short for Links, not .1nk.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 25, 2021 Views 3,869 Applies to: