Invalid MS-DOS Function Error when deleting files - How To Fix?

I recently upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 and so far, I had no trouble until I had issues with deleting files. Sometimes after restarting my computer, it works but there are times when it won't delete at all.

Every time I click on "Try Again" it just keeps repeating itself over and over again. I'm editing pictures using Adobe Photoshop and after I get done using that picture, I delete them. There are some document files I made (or just copy Japanese Music lyrics) and when I go to delete them, it won't delete.

Is this some kind of bug or something? Or is this an error in the system? Please, I need a fix ASAP.

Check out my Windows 10 Review on YouTube: https://youtu.be/xetB35u7wqg

Question Info

Last updated February 1, 2020 Views 3,972 Applies to:

Hello,

Thank you for posting your question on Microsoft community.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and your efforts towards resolving it.

This issue may occur due to software conflicts.

To diagnose the issue, reboot the computer in safe mode and check if it helps.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. This helps us in identifying whether the issue is due to some third party programs conflict. Please follow these steps:

a. Type settings in search and then click settings.
b. Click update and recovery and then click recovery.
c. Under advanced startup, click restart now.
d. Once your PC restarts, on choose an option screen, click troubleshoot.
e. If you don't see startup settings option, click advanced options.
f. Click startup settings and then click restart.
g. On startup settings screen, choose safe mode.
h. Sign in to your PC with a user account that has administrator rights.

If the issue does not persist in safe mode, then perform clean boot.
Refer this article:
How to perform a clean boot in Windows
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
(Also holds good for Windows 10)

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps from section “How to reset the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting” to reset the computer to start as usual.

I hope this information helps.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I was able to delete my file using your suggested method. But that doesn't explain why this happened to me just recently. Are there any explanations for this? I want to prevent this issue from happening again. This happened to an Excel file of mine. I though my file was corrupted.

Also, I haven't done a clean boot yet. The way I understand it, a clean boot is like reinstalling your windows 10 but keeping your files. Right? Is this really important?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Christopher,

Windows 10 is pointless as I have got 2 issues still persisting (not incnluding this one which I think is solved)

I upgraded to it from Windows 8.1 on my very powerful Intel i7, SSD hard drive laptop (which also has a dedicated NVIDIA graphics card) , meaning my machine  is very powerful.

The main problem I am having is, that the Windows App Store and all apps (apart from Groove) do not open!

But then yesterday, I started getting the problem that you mentioned where files said the Invalid MS-DOS Function error.

I found this solution which hopefully will work for you, it should take you 3 minutes. Make sure you shut down after doing this fix.

Full instructions of potential solution here which I got from this Microsoft Support forum link (which was from 2009, so it seems people have been randomly getting this issue for many here)

1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. 
  2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: 
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System
  3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value. 
  4.  Type CopyFileBufferedSynchronousIo to name the new entry, and then press ENTER. 
  5. Right-click CopyFileBufferedSynchronousIo, and then click Modify. 
  6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK. 
  7.  Exit Registry Editor.
  8. Shut down and then turn on your computer 

Registry Disclaimer:

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly.

Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows: 
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Christopher,

Windows 10 is pointless as I have got 2 issues still persisting (not incnluding this one which I think is solved)

I upgraded to it from Windows 8.1 on my very powerful Intel i7, SSD hard drive laptop (which also has a dedicated NVIDIA graphics card) , meaning my machine  is very powerful.

The main problem I am having is, that the Windows App Store and all apps (apart from Groove) do not open!

But then yesterday, I started getting the problem that you mentioned where files said the Invalid MS-DOS Function error.

I found this solution which hopefully will work for you, it should take you 3 minutes. Make sure you shut down after doing this fix.

Full instructions of potential solution here which I got from this Microsoft Support forum link (which was from 2009, so it seems people have been randomly getting this issue for many here)

1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. 
  2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: 
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System
  3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value. 
  4.  Type CopyFileBufferedSynchronousIo to name the new entry, and then press ENTER. 
  5. Right-click CopyFileBufferedSynchronousIo, and then click Modify. 
  6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK. 
  7.  Exit Registry Editor.
  8. Shut down and then turn on your computer 

Registry Disclaimer:

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly.

Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows: 
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

I have done this registry correction and it still does'nt work, I am unable to delete files and cant save Word document

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Dansudbury, 

So if this registry edit mod did not work for you, I would suggest a trick

You can get Microsoft to call you back (normally it's very quick).  You can explain them your problem and they will then remote access into your computer while they are on the phone with you and try fix it (if you are lucky). 

One of their guys did that for me for 1.5 hours trying to fix the issue of the App store and apps not working.

Use this link , if it doesn't work I am sure you will find another one https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/agents 

Sorry this didn't help.