Question

Q: IndexerVolumeGuid-What the heck is it?! This thread is locked from future replies

I have found a file on my USB stick and my phone called "IndexerVolumeGuid" that i have no idea what is for. I have searched everywhere on the Internet via Google and have found no concrete information on it. some say it could be a virus while others say it's a System restore file. I am more inclined to be believe the latter, but it exhibits odd behavior for a regular file. According to what i read, it will copy itself to portable devices that are plugged into the computer. Then you delete it and it reloads itself the next time the drive is plugged in. It seems the only way to actually disable this is to go and disable System restore itself.

What is this file? Is it innocent, is it a virus?

Anyone?

I forgot to mention that it shows up in a folder called "System volume information".

What is this file? Is it innocent, is it a virus?
Anyone?
I forgot to mention that it shows up in a folder called "System volume information".

Innocent,I should say.As per the name suggests it keeps the indexes of the files in System Volume Information.I do have it too in my drive.

via: System Volume Information folder

The System Volume Information folder is a hidden system folder that the System Restore tool uses to store its information and restore points. There is a System Volume Information folder on every partition on your computer. You might need to gain access to this folder for troubleshooting purposes.

You can turn System protection off for the drive so that it doesn't create it

Go to Control Panel>System restore.

Highlight the Flash drive in the window and click on configure.

Turn System Protection OFF for the Flash drive.

Gordon B-P from here

I would suggest hiding Operating system files so that it doesn't bother you.

Sumit
Community Moderator
Windows Insider MVP

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

84 people were helped by this reply

Thanks very much Sumit. I had a feeling that it was something along those lines. And then I finally get around to Googling it and the first thing I see in search suggestions is "Indexervolumeguid virus", so naturally I got uneasy. thanks for setting me straight

I will see about applying your advice about hiding files.

Thanks again.

Rob

Sorry this didn't help.

I really don't know. I think it all depends on what the publisher name (Or the type) is. If the publisher name/type is JoniCOuupoon, I think you're pretty screwed. That JoniCOuupoon can screw your space a bit by dropping a bunch of files. I've had that problem many times as I have a stick as well, and a bunch of files was dropped in one of my folders and I was so confused. For the most part though, it should be innocent. Just make sure you don't have infected files you're about to move to your USB, and it should be fine.

Sorry this didn't help.

6 people were helped by this reply

most files you can open with notepad or wordpad to see if its textual or binary (if its binary it won't be readable, if textual it may be readable or just simply not make sense)

i opened it in notepad and it is a text file.

it simply contains the device's unique id.

heres what mine contains: {4D071AB8-5971-4034-802B-CF8BE55357DE}

Sorry this didn't help.

10 people were helped by this reply

I don't know it is a virus or not 

But it makes difficulties such as it make short cuts and hid the whole folders and information in the USB or pendrive

here is the solution i got from other forums

Go to my computer then find which one is your drive like C: D: J:

remember your drive's name

Go to CMD prompt by type cmd on search all programs and files at start 

type your drive name eg D:

and press enter

you will get D: type the below command there

attrib[Space]*.*[Space]-r[Space]-h[Space]-s[Space]/d[Space]/s and press enter
(like attrib *.* -r -s /d /s )
wait for a moment

after you see D:\> in CMD screen go and open your usb from my computer.. you can see one new folder without name... open it where you can see your all files and folder...

www.totalsolution.website

Sorry this didn't help.

4 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 19238 Last updated: January 18, 2018 Applies to: