I am having a problem with my webmail.

My webmail account keeps telling me I have folders that I can't find.  Recently, because Outlook kept disappearing from my desktop, a Microsoft tech uninstalled and reinstalled 365.  This has happened before with no problems but this time I lost half of my folders and the ones that are still there are empty.  I am so mad.  Microsoft tells me they can't find them but I don't know why they don't have an automatic save when they uninstall Outlook.  The emails in the inbox all came back; why did the folders disappear?

I am trying to open new folders for the ones that are missing.  I am trying to do this in my webmail so that if Microsoft loses more folders for me, I will be able to find them at the webmail level.  When I type in, for instance, Judy for a folder name, it will appear as Judy2.  When I try to rename it; it tells me there is already a folder by that name under the parent folder called E-mail.  I do not have, nor ever did have a folder called E-mail.  Tech department doesn't know what to do about it.  

I cannot find these folders, yet it tells me they are there. Does anyone know how to find these invisible folders?  Has anyone else every gone through this?

Any help will be appreciated.

Hello CarolHigginsXX,

My name is Carlo, I'm an Independent Advisor and community member like you.
I am also using Outlook.

To better help you out, I'd like to ask a few questions: How was your email set up in Outlook? Are you using an IMAP or a POP3 email server for your email account? To get this information, open Outlook > File > Account Settings > Account Settings > under Type. Who is your email server provider (i.e. gmail.com, yahoo.com, outlook.com)?

Also, can you check on your webmail if the folders are showing? Since you are trying to create the folders on your webmail and you were getting the messages that the folders already exist, then that means that the folders are on your webmail as well.

Looking forward to your response. Stay safe.

Regards,

Carlo T.

*This is a public community. To protect your privacy, do not post any personal information such as your email address, phone number, product key, password, or credit card number.
*This is a public forum and I do not work for Microsoft nor do I have access to any user accounts. To protect your privacy, do not post any personal information.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi; thanks for replying.

My incoming is IMAP and outgoing is smtphm

My server/provider is bell.net

My folders are definitely showing, the ones that didn't disappear when the uninstalling and reinstalling was done.  The two I am particularly interested in creating are in my sister's name.  We email every day and send each other jokes and funny pictures etc.  One of the email folders is to put the jokes etc in that she sends me and the other is for her emails to come directly into so I don't have to look for them among the rest of the rifraff emails coming in.  But if I try to create a folder called Judy, it will show up in the folder panel as Judy2 and I can't get rid of the 2.  If I try to rename it and take the 2 out, it tells me I can't because there is already a folder named Judy under the parent folder named E-mail. 

I have NO folder named E-mail and never have had.  

I just tried to create a new folder for another one that disappeared, Acer, a camera company and it did the same thing; it came up as Acer2.

I think if it says it is there, it should be there; just a matter of where it is and how to find it.  My techs are stymied; they don't have a clue.

My service provider is bell.net

Thanks for trying to help.  You'd think bell.net tech department would know how to deal with this but they don't.  I have live chatted 2 different techs on the computer and talked to two different people on the phone at two different numbers they gave me.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello

Thanks for your detailed reply. I can't imagine how incovenient this is for you. Let's try to perform some steps and see if it'll work.

Please follow the steps from this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/choo...

It's best to see if the folders are just not showing in your Outlook. If you will find those folders, you can subscribe them so that they will be visible in your Outlook app. You can 'Update Folder list' and see if the folders will show up.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Carlo T.
*This is a public forum and I do not work for Microsoft nor do I have access to any user accounts. To protect your privacy, do not post any personal information.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi again.

I had a reply 3/4 done and had a problem with Word and saving things to  Documents so had to get on with Microsoft live chat and get it fixed and my reply to you disappeared.  So I start again.

I went to that link and printed it out.

I have to admit I am not computer wizard.  I don't know exactly what the navigation pane is.  There is nothing on my Outlook inbox page or my Bell (service provider) inbox page that says Mail to click on and look for an IMAP folder.  

I took screen shots of both inboxes and saved to Documents but there is no way to attach a document.  I tried using the picture attachment but when the box Documents comes up to choose from, the documents I saved aren't there.  This is so frustrating and confusing.

I moved the documents to Pictures and tried to add them but it didn't come up again.  I tried to copy and paste them into this box but it would work.

Awaiting further advice, if you can.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I forgot to say that there are some folders in my bell (webmail) email but not nearly as many.  Microsoft told me that is because when I made them in Outlook, it wasn't synced with Bell.  Bell tech told me to make all further folders in Bell so that if Microsoft loses my files in the future, I will still have them in Bell.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi CarolHigginsXX,

I'm sorry to hear about the issues that you had. On your Outlook application, right-click on your Inbox (it is usually the top folder just below your email address), and select IMAP Folders. Then you can proceed to the next steps.

By the way, do you remember how your email address was set up before? Was it also in IMAP or POP3? If it was in IMAP even before, then all of your emails should have been saved on your webmail and Outlook. Whatever emails or folder you have on your webmail, it syncs on your Outlook app.

Let me know if you were able to find the IMAP folders. Hope it will show once you click on Query.

Regards,

Carlo T.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My email used to be POP3 years ago; it has been IMAP for a couple of years at least.

I right clicked on Inbox and selected IMAP folders and clicked on Query.  I selected the two folders I want most (one at a time) and clicked on Subscribe.  When I went back to the folders, there were a couple of old emails in them.

I went to webmail and when I right click on Inbox, there is no option coming up to select IMAP.

However, my Barb and Barb email folders are full of old emails (I used the name Judy before for no real reason, but the name is really Barb).  But when I went back to Outlook, the emails weren't there.  I also did this with Acer, my tablet company and old emails came up. Not all of them but at least I have the contact I need for them.

This is so weird.

Also, after I select a folder in IMAP and click on Subscribe, the "Apply" button is greyed out.

You said "In Mail in the navigation pane, right click the top folder for your IMAP account.  Click Update Folder List."    There are no folders when I right click on Inbox, just options of what to do.  When I click on IMAP folders and the little window comes up, there is nothing in the box.  I have to hit Query to get a list of folders.  But when I click on the top folder, 311 City, or any other folder, there is no drop down menu to select Update Folder List.  I can't find that anywhere.

I went to the internet and typed in How to update folders in Outlook.  I found the following instructions:

I      1. Open Outlook. Click on the File tab > Account Settings > Account Settings drop-down button.

2. Double-click on the concerned email account > Click on the More Settings button > Click on the Advanced tab.

3. Check the option under Folders if the Root folder path box is empty or filled-in.

4. If the box is empty, please type the word Inbox and then click on Apply and/or Ok at the bottom of the box to save the settings.

5. Close the Account Settings box and restart the Outlook application.

Once done, please check if you will be able to receive emails without prompting you to update the folder.

I did #1.  I double clicked on the concerned email account (mine).  There is no option of More Settings and no Advanced tab.

I checked the Root Folder path box and it was empty so I typed Inbox in it and there is no Apply or Ok so I clicked Next.  

When I went back to my inbox, all my folders were gone but it says there are 145 in there. 

It also says to restart so I am going to restart and will get back to you and tell you if they are back after I restart.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello again,

Calling tech service is a cr*p shoot, as I'm sure you know.  Some of the seem like it is their first day on the job; some of them don't know simple things that I know.

But today from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. was a good day.  I had to live chat Microsoft twice and spoke to 5 or 6 people in all.  On the last regular tech I asked to be escalated and got a superstar.  He got all my email folders back (which all the previous techs told me couldn't be done) and most of the emails. Not all.  At least two of the folders (I haven't looked at them all yet) such as Bad Boy Furniture and Canada Post contain only emails sent to me by my sister.  Nobody knows how that happened.

He also fixed a bunch of other things.  Microsoft changed the Save thing so that things automatically go to OneDrive so I kept saving things to Documents but could never find them.  He found out how to uncheck the thing that sends them to OneDrive so now that is back to normal..  And a few other things too.

So I am happy now.  Haven't got everything but got enough to ease the anxiety, tension and anger that was eating my brain and my stomach up.  It is frustrating dealing with tech service with any company because they all know different things and sometimes they tell you something can't be done when you know yourself darn well that it CAN be done because you have had it done before.

One thing I don't understand about Microsoft is why they took away the ability to retrieve accidentally deleted files after you have emptied the deleted folder.  We used to be able to do that; I have done it.

Only thing  left that is a problem is on bell.net where some of my email folders have a 2 beside them.  I searched for the E-Mail folder and a name came up but couldn't do anything  about it.  I have talked to the highest order at Bell and someone is supposed to get back to me about that.  I called on Sunday and they said within 48 hours so hopefully tomorrow.

Thank you so much for your help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2021 Views 151 Applies to: