How to remove default apps to open files?

Hi, I need some help. I accidentally set a default app to open .jar files, is there a way to remove the app to open it? I don't want to change it to something else, I know how to do that, I want to REMOVE the app to open it. In the menu to change it, some apps don't have a default app and I don't want .jar files to have one either. They didn't previously. I tried searching it up, and someone had the same problem. However, you guys only told him how to change it, not remove. Anyways, I hope you can help!

Question Info

Last updated February 22, 2020 Views 22,523 Applies to:

There is no official method for doing this but I have seen workarounds suggested [I have tested this procedure with only one file type] -

1. Create a new file on your desktop [any file, it does not matter],
  2. Select it and change its file extension to .exe,
  3. Confirm the change when Windows warns you that you are changing it,
  4. Look at the file's icon to check that it has indeed changed to the funny square thing that's applied to non-descript .exe files    
  5. Associate your required extension with this dummy application,
  6. After you have associated it, delete the dummy .exe file you created,
  7. Go back to file associations and you should see that .jar files are once again not associated with anything.

There are discussions of this subject in

Remove a file association - see Ramesh and others

How to Remove a File Association - Winhelponline

For future reference, you can also reset file associations for many file types [but not jar] using tools provided in Restore Default File Type Associations - TenForums

Denis

Try*3 - a user
Dell Inspirons 7779, 1545, 9300; Windows 10 Home x64 & Pro x86; Office Pro 2007; HP DJ2540; HTC UPlay [Android 6.0], MyPhoneExplorer

68 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.