How to move files and software from Vista computer to new Windows 10 computer?

Is there another way to move files and software from Vista computer to new Windows 10 computer instead of PCMover?  I have the files on an external hard drive, but after 3 hours of what seemed to be downloading the files to the new computer, I can't find them.  I did not turn off the virus protection first.  
|
Hi Berg,

Sometimes moving files manually is the best way to attack it. It may take a little longer, but it’ll work.

Is the old pc still operational? Have you put all your files into a singular folder, or are they all over the place? (EX. Desktop, my documents, pictures, etc)

Also, what software are you trying to move?

We can absolutely work together to get your transfer done!

Let me know!
- C

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

To be honest with you, it is probably best off you backup and manually restore your files. Applications are best off reinstalled from their original setup files or disc.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/install-or-rei...

Due to the version of Windows (Vista), some of these apps might not even be compatible with Windows 10. There are options available that can migrate apps, but don't expect the results to be perfect:

Free PC transfer/migration software - EaseUS Todo PCTrans Free
https://www.easeus.com/free-pc-transfer-software/

Backup your files and restore them:

What you need to start this project?

The first thing I recommend you do is invest in an external hard disk. I can't exhaust this enough; they are affordable and can store lots of data. You can probably get a 4TB drive for around $100.

Keep in mind, if you have a complex configuration, this article does not delve into the nuances of multiple partitions or drives with data scattered across them although the same rules can apply in regards to backup. If you do have folders for data such as documents, music, pictures and videos stored on other partitions or drives, then I would recommend you disconnect these data drives and upgrade only the system partition. You can always reattach your data drives after setup is complete.

Turn on Show Hidden Files & Folders

You want your backup to be as thorough as possible. Within your User folder is a hidden directory called AppData. This folder stores important settings for the apps you use, such as custom directionaries for Microsoft Word, passwords for apps like Chrome, Outlook data files and mail folders for apps like Windows Mail.

To turn on Hidden Files and folders, start by opening your user folder. Press Windows key + R then type: %userprofile% then hit Enter on your keyboard.

Enabling Show hidden files and Folders

Windows 8/8.1/10 - Click the View tab then click Options then click the View tab. Under Advanced settings > Hidden files and folders select the radio box Show hidden files and folders.

Windows Vista/7 - Click Organize > Search and Folder Options
Windows XP - Click Tools > Folder Options

AppData folder is now visible.

After completing the above steps, you should now see the AppData folder appear in your user folder.

Next step is to simply select all the folder. You can do this by pressing Ctrl + A or

Click Organize > Select All (Windows 7/Vista),
Click Home tab > Select All (Windows 8/8.1/10),
Edit > Select All (Windows XP).

Selected folders

Open your External hard disk then create a new folder and call it backup or a unique name. Open it then press Ctrl + V or

Click Organize > Paste (Windows 7),
Click Home tab > Paste (Windows 8/8.1/10),
Click Edit > Paste (Windows XP).

Depending on the amount of data, this can take a while.

If you have multiple accounts

If you have more than one account on your computer, log into each account and repeat the same steps. Make sure a unique folder is created for each account you backup manually.

Remember other folders you might have

If you store data in folders such as Public, remember to look in there too. The Public folder is located in C:\Users\Public

In Windows XP it is called Shared Documents located under C:\Documents and Settings

NOTE: Some apps will keep their own data stores within their application folders, so make sure you browse and copy those over if necessary. Some users have a tendency to store files at the root of the hard disk, normally where the operating system is installed (Local Disk c:\). Also check there for any important files and move them to Documents folder.

Restoration

Once your backup is complete and you have your new computer setup and Windows is installed and running, the next step is to copy over your files and folders from the external hard disk. You can do this two ways, you can individually copy the contents of each folder into the respective folder on the new computer from the external drive. Here is what you can easily do.

Connect and turn on your external hard disk.

Browse the backup folder with your backed up folders.

Press Ctrl + A or Click Organize > Select All (Windows 7), Home tab > Select All (Windows 8/8.1/10), Edit > Select All (Windows XP).

Open your User folder on the computer

Press Windows key + R then type: %userprofile% then hit Enter on your keyboard.

Press Ctrl + V or Click Organize > Paste (Windows 7), Home tab > Paste (Windows 8/8.1/10), Edit > Paste (Windows XP).

You will be prompted if you want to replace the folders, click Yes.

Depending on the amount of data, this can take a while.

If you have other accounts, make sure the respective accounts have been created and logged into then repeat the same steps.
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 16, 2021 Views 2,771 Applies to: