How do I remove LavasoftTcpService64.dll?

The Ad-Aware Web Companion was installed without my permission, I uninstalled it through control panel but this .dll file was left and I cannot delete it anyhow. I tried software crushing, unregistering (which says entry point not found). I couldn't even find the service it is on. How should I remove it?

Question Info

Last updated December 7, 2018 Views 15,980 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Remove Adware & PUPs with these tools. Check for updates first and then scan with each one at a time until your machine is clean.

Malwarebytes (Get the free version)
https://www.malwarebytes.org/free/

When offered, uncheck: Enable free trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium.

===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====
☞ Avoid a post. Backup your data. ☜

Bruce Hagen
MVP: 2004 ~ 2010
2014 ~ Present
Imperial Beach, CA

44 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This doesn't work because I think it doesn't qualify as a malware except the fact that it is open in virtually every service on my laptop. I need to delete this .DLL file in a non-malware fashion.

Sorry this didn't help.

It qualifies as Adware.

I'll let someone else toss out an idea.

Bruce Hagen
2014 ~ Present
Imperial Beach, CA

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you anyway, I'm sure it qualifies. The cleaning softwares just don't find it. Also the third link is way too old to be opened.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

YW.  Well, the third link opens fine for me so I guess you do have issues.

Bruce Hagen
2014 ~ Present
Imperial Beach, CA

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks I found this helpful I have been relying on Windows Defender without issue until I tried to install the Adobe CC suite on this machine. The Adware not to be confused with Ad-Aware was lurking in my machine without any issues until it prevented me from launch Dreamweaver. I took a look with Adobe and we tried to disable the offending dll LavasoftTcpService64.dll by decorating it with OLD like this LavasoftTcpService64old.dll and this LavasoftTcpService64.dll_old but that only causes issues with internet services in the immediate. Dreamweaver ran but only partially as new service connections to the TCP IP were not being setup. This gave me hybrid access to the internet for awhile making me think the issue was fixed but upon restart the computer updated something with the TCP and then the entire wireless internet crashed. I did not that wired internet would function but I don't have a desk I can use and nothing close enough to the router.

As we speak I'm running malware bites because whatever this is is only partially installed leaving behind a few ruminate Dynamic Link Libraries and an ini file called  LavasoftTcpServiceOff.ini and a Lavasoft folder with a sub folder called Web Companion with a frequently asked questions internet shortcut link. Also who knows how many registry keys it left behind.

I'm glad the new universal app model is set up to have a better system for registry entries and when we remove programs like Lavasoft products that they will have there own application store and not all be in HKEYLOCALMACHINE were removal in the past was difficult. I'm hoping for the best with this adware removal tool.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well malware bites found some malware objects but I scanned through the locations of all of them. Primarily in the App Data folder that's hidden in the user folders. not surprising since I often have to reinstall my dev machine to get the libraries talking right. I often carry over stuff in that folder I don't intend to since I've been backing up the user folder since like 2010. There were very few registry keys I removed them as well.

What missing from this picture is that the offending DLL the primary topic of this thread was not found by Malware Bites. I am afraid to just remove it because this TCP Services DLL has been causing wireless internet issues when disabled.

I'll try the other remover see if that does anything. I'm doubtful about the http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/reset-internet-explorer-settings link because the name implies that it refers to Windows 7 this was never a windows 7 machine it came with 8 then 8.1 then 8.1 pro then windows 10 pro, and is now running on windows 10 Education which is enterprise grade essentially. this link is simply for windows 10 it's forwarding through from the original site to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/windows?os=windows-10 . I believe this is why 汪韬 thought is was an old post. That was right around the time that windows 10 came out so its possible the link was forwarded at that time.

Sorry this didn't help.

adwcleaner did the trick it found the root files in the directory
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/dl/125/

[#] File deleted: C:\WINDOWS\SysNative\LavasoftTcpService64.dll
[-] File deleted: C:\WINDOWS\SysNative\LavasoftTcpServiceOff.ini
[-] File deleted: C:\WINDOWS\SysWoW64\lavasofttcpservice.dll
[-] File deleted: C:\WINDOWS\SysWoW64\LavasoftTcpServiceOff.ini

That's mainly it there are some other files it found around the browsers I just installed so I could test my web development in multiple browsers but other than that it was pretty clean. I don't want to show the whole log file. So that I don't endanger my local file structure to potential hackers looking for an in on my machine.

LavasoftTCPService64.dll is still in my machine at the system 32 level but that copy is not causing an issue with my Adobe software. I think that these other copies must have been the culprit because the unwanted bad behaviors disappeared.

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I came across this thread due to the same issue with Dreamweaver and that pesky .dll. I also tried renaming it, which caused issues with internet settings. I'm not quite clear on what you found as a solution. Did you follow Bruce Hagen's advice?

Sorry this didn't help.

Usually dll errors at Startup are due to a program starting or trying to start with Windows that generates them.   This is another reason not to let anything start with WIndows that you don't know and want running then and there - all others are freeloaders on your system resources and many are only there to spy on you.

It explains in Windows 10 Performance and Install Integrity Checklist - Microsoft Community how to establish a Clean Boot for best performance (not just troubleshooting) and many other tips, optimizations, and repairs to make sure your install is set up correctly. 

Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes.

----------------------------------
I am a volunteer and not Microsoft.

Approaching 100,000 helped in forums. I don't quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

Windows MVP 2010-19, Moderator

Sorry this didn't help.