How do I change the default view for Windows 10 File Explorer search results?

Hi

When I use the search box in Windows 10 File Explorer to find a file, the results are always viewed in "Content" view. This means that the filename column is too narrow and there isn't any way of expanding the column. I then have to change the view to "Details" which sometimes results in the search running again, depending on the size of the folder and whether it is indexed or not.

I would like to be able to specify the default view for search results to be "Details" but I can't find out how to do this. I have found a few similar questions online but no answers.

Many thanks

Question Info

Last updated July 18, 2019 Views 16,862 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

With your description, we tried to reproduce the issue and found no issues with the same. Press Windows Key + E, to open Windows Explorer. Then go to View on top left corner of the Windows and then expand the View ribbon by clicking on it. Now select the Layout as Details. Close the Windows Explorer.

Now open it again, then try to use search box to search something and see how the results appear. With the above action, the results should always appears to be in Details view.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance. 

15 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi pwp3,

Windows can save settings for a certain number of folders (5000, IIRC), and if the limit is exceeded the settings aren't saved. See if clearing the folder view settings in the registry helps.

If your issue is specific to the view setting used by search results, you may use the REG fix in my previous post in this thread.

ex-MVP (2003-2012) (Windows Client)

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.