How can I restore new rtf document to right click context menu?

I'm running Win 10 v 1703 on a desktop PC

I no longer see a right click context menu option to open new rtf document. It has disappeared from the right click menu. How can I restore it?

Thanks

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Answer
Answer

Hello,

The context menu is controlled by ShellNew entries under the HKEY_Classes_Root in your Registry. To restore the New Rich Text Document to your context menu, you may follow the steps provided below:

1. Right-click on Start/Windows symbol on your computer.
  2. Left-click on Command Prompt (Admin).
  3. When the User Account Control opens, click on Yes.
  4. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, open type or copy & paste the following command: reg add "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rtf\Word.RTF.8\ShellNew" /v Filename /t reg_sz /d Document.rtf
  5. Press Enter to execute.
  6. Type Exit.
  7. Press Enter to close the Administrator: Command Prompt window.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article.

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Do update us with the outcome and if you need further assistance.

Regards.

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 3,246 Applies to: