How can I KILL OneDrive completely?

Hello,

I got a brand new computer which I set up the first week of July, with a pre-installed version of Win 10 Pro. The first thing I had to do was to disable OneDrive, as it was set as the default place for everything, and cleared the desktop of all the Win 10 tiles and stuff that I didn't want there (i.e., everything). I loaded all my software programs, (sorry …. Apps), and all was well. Then later in July, along came the Version 2004 upgrade, so I am now running Win 10 Pro with that upgrade, build 19041.388 (Intel core i7 CPU generation 9 with 32 Gb RAM, 1 Tb SSD for Windows, and a 4 Tb HDD). Suddenly, my dear friend OneDrive was back, uninvited, and hijacked a load of files including a lot of the Desktop stuff; although I have repeatedly tried to unlink it, disable it and banish it to the wastes of Siberia, I have ended up with two Desktop folders, two Downloads, two Documents (etc., etc.,), with more or less duplicated entries in all sets …. and OneDrive still hijacks my programs as the default storage setting for  files generated in these programs…. it is driving me to distraction, and the window is looking more and more attractive through which to launch my computer. Please, how can I KILL OneDrive once and for all? I really don't want to do a reinstall of Windows, because it takes me more than 3 days to load and configure all my software (sorry …. Apps), but if I need to, then I will. Hopefully, someone can point me in the right direction.

Thank you very much in advance for preserving my sanity, the well-being of my computer, and for obviating the need to replace a double-glazed window!

Go Settings, Apps, Apps & features, scroll down to Microsoft OneDrive, click on it and Uninstall.
-----------
If this answers your question - Then mark it so. Then others may find it.
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi scotsdoc, I am Paulo. I'm an Independent Advisor and an individual like you inclined to help.

You might have set your OneDrive as the default save location instead of your PC. To change this, you should read this article for instructions

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/file...

I hope this helps

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The person said KILL not FILL.
-----------
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you very much for your suggestion. Sadly, Microsft OneDrive is not in the list! It goes from Edge Update to Photos.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your suggested fix, Paulo GM. Unfortunately, the OneDrive icon doersn't appear on the taskbar so I can't select itr to disable it, nor can I find OneDrive in the list of Apps in the "Select ehich icon appears in the task bar". But, it's still hiding somewhere in my system.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

See if OneDrive is located in the old programs list in Control Panel. Press Windows logo key + R then enter appwiz.cpl

If OneDrive isn't listed there, it is probably removed. Check if a Registry fix would work by using something like CCleaner

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That sound like you have already uninstalled it.
-----------
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks again ... but although  the %&$#@ thing doesn't appear there, its folder appears in my user menu, together with two sets of desktop folder, one for me (in my user's name), and one for me with all the items linked via OneDrive. I tried deleting the OneDrive-related desktop and that went OK. I then tried deleting the OneDrive folder, since Widows doesn't appear to see it, and althugh it was successfully deleted, that wiped out all the icons on my desktop.! So, I reinstalled a coule of links from my installed programs onto the sadly blank desktop, and while they appered on the desktop, they did not appear in the desktop folder associated w,ith my user name, and lo and behold, the OneDrive folder reappeared, with these links in its desktop folder! So OneDrive is still lurking in my computer soemwhere. That's why I asked how I can kill it once and for all. Thanks again for your help. This never occurred in my old computer, so perhaps it's someting to do with the preinstalled version.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks again, Paulo GM. No OneDrive entry can be seen following your clear instructions. I ran a registry cleaner which threw up a numbeif ProgID and DLL glitches, but after they were cleared OneDrive still trying to act as the default repositry for everything ..... very frustrating.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, Iacrumb, that was in reply to Paulo GM, and not to you.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2024 Views 4,284 Applies to: