High data usage with windows 10

i've just downloaded windows 10. Since then I have been getting through over 1GB of data a day for 2 days when I am doing very little other than checking emails a looking on the web for the odd thing or two. As I'm on a mobile broadband it's proving an expensive update at £10 per GB. Before the update everthing was fine except I was using windows 8 is which I don't get on with very well. 

Any one any idea what is eating all the data. 

Also, I have a Canon Pixma scanner/printer which again was fine before installing windows 10. Now when I try to scan and save photos it doesn't save them properly every time and the folders keep loosing pictures?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

In windows 10, Go to Setting >  Update & Security > Advanced Options > Choose How Updates Are Delivered.

It says with the option enabled you allow your computer to send parts of previously windows updates to other people on LAN, and on the internet.

This means, when you downloaded Windows 10. You are helping seed it to others now. Unless you turn it off. Then you are back to your regular usage.

Hope it helps!

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Nice, lots still to learn about Windows 10 evidently. Thanks for that tip. Don't mind having it on my main PC, but prefer not to use on the laptop.

Sorry this didn't help.

I solved the problem as well. It's back to good ol' Windows 7 for me.

Yes I think I will also go back to Windows 7. I'm not using the mobile phone but I have a 10g data cap after which I pay extra. Last month it was a lot of money. Why on earth do Windows do these things?

When I need to replace the computer I think it will be with a Mac.

Sorry this didn't help.

It's a relief to know that others have this problem. I was afraid I was hacked or something. No choice but to go back to Windows 7. Wish I hadn't bothered upgrading - there don't seem to be any advantages with Windows 10.

Sorry this didn't help.

And you wonder why people hate Microsoft. I live in an area where all I get is Verizon as a carrier. Costs me $215/mo for 40 Gigs. Windows 10 has thrown me at least 10G over for the month. And don't tell me you are not the cause. I AM SO PISSED.  You have cost me over $150 so far and I have 8 days to go. 

DON'T SPOUT ALL THIS **** ABOUT "PRINTER DRIVERS"........GOD I HATE MICROSOFT!

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Personally, I feel that we should bill Microsoft for the excessive data usage and support caused by unauthorised Windows updates.

Did you give your explicit permission for them to leech bandwidth to deliver Windows updates to others? No.

Did they ask you if you wanted to download a 5GB, pointless update to Windows 10? No.

Did you ask for dozens of bloatware apps to be installed and frequently updated, even though no one on the planet uses them? No.

Just because they have T&Cs that state they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, doesn't mean they are legally binding.
In the UK unreasonable terms cannot be enforced.

They test Windows on 6 month old i7 PCs with SSDs and 64GB of RAM, then force it 8 year old machines, in an effort to push you to upgrade hardware.
They are on the end of Gbps broadband in the middle of "tech valley", with no comprehension how things work in rural areas.

[/rant]

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 1, 2020 Views 6,028 Applies to: