Fresh installed Windows 10 latest version, OLD icons in File Explorer on Windows 10 instead of the new Threshold icons

I fresh installed on a new computer Windows 10 and the icons look like the old ones (NOTE: Look at left navigation panel):

Instead of the new ones which are on both of my other Windows 10 computers which got the Threshold update:

Also note the different folder icons, Old vs New:

How do I fix this so my new installation has the proper icons like my other computers do? This drives me insane as a Graphic Designer and it also makes me unsure whether the install worked properly because why would I have old icons in a fresh install after updating everything?? I am on the current stable build, not on any insider builds on any computers.

Answer
Answer

It's due to scaling level. Anything higher than 100% causes the system use the next large sized icon from imageres.dll

For example, 16x16 icon looks odd (shown with default scaling level). Regardless of the scaling leve, the Save As dialogs seem to show the correct (16x16) icon. Little bit of inconsistency here.

This is the case of many icons in imageres.dll.

Desktop shell folder icon.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ramesh, Windows Shell MVP 2003-2012.
If this post resolves your issue, pls mark it as an Answer.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 14, 2024 Views 1,325 Applies to: