Error 0x80071771

I'm attempting to access a file after upgrading to Win 10 but receive error 0x80071771: The specified file could not be encrypted.  I've double checked and I am the owner of this file and have full rights (right click>properties>security>advance).  The file was created prior to me upgrading to Win10 but I don't recall encrypting it.  Is there a way to determine how this file was encrypted? Better yet is there a work around?

Question Info

Last updated December 11, 2019 Views 16,029 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

The error code that you’ve encountered is more likely associated when tried accessing a file from a removable device which was created using a different computer. To help us isolate this concern, we’d like to ask the following:

• Was the file saved from a USB drive?
  • Does the file originally created from a different device to where you’re trying to open it?
  • Can you tell us what type of file was it?
  • Does the issue occur to a specific file only or also with others?

We’ll wait for your response.

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

My Wife's hard drive crashed.  I have been able to retrieve most of her files.  Some have give me the Error code 0x0071771.  These are her clip art files jpeg and png.  I have placed her hard drive on a USB dock.  The file show a image with a lock on it.  She is a school teacher and needs these files.  Can you assist me? Thanks, Roger  *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Roger,

This issue likely occurs if the files have been encrypted by Encrypting File System (EFS). It's a built-in encryption tool in Windows that's being used to encrypt files and folders to protect them from unwanted access. For us to troubleshoot your issue with accessing files, we suggest performing some decrypting methods. Before doing so, you need to have a full permission to access system files. To set the permission of your hard drive to full control, refer to these steps:

1. Right click on the drive letter corresponding to your hard drive, then go to Properties .
  2. Go to Security > Edit > Add.
  3. On the Enter the object names to select (examples) section, type Everyone, then click OK.
  4. Click Everyone, then under Permissions for Everyone section, put a check mark on the options under Allow.
  5. Click Apply, then OK.
  6. Go to the Security tab again, then click Advanced.
  7. Click the Change button under Permissions tab, then type Everyone and click OK.

8. Check the box beside Replace owner on subcontainers and objects, then click Apply. 
  9. Go to the Auditing tab, then click Add.
  10. Click the Select a principal button, type Everyone and click OK.
  11. Under Basic permissions section, check the box beside Full Control, then click OK.
  12. Click Apply, then OK.
  13. Restart your computer to apply the changes.

Afterwards, perform these decrypting methods:

1. Decrypt a file or folder through Context Menu
    A. Right-click on the file or folder that you're trying to access, then click File ownership and select Personal.
  2. Decrypt a file or folder through Advanced Attributes
    A. Right-click on the file or folder that you're trying to access, then select Properties.
    B. In the General tab, click Advanced.
    C. Uncheck the box beside "Encrypt contents to secure data", then click OK.
    D. Click the radio button beside "Apply changes to this folder only" or "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files" depending on your preference, then click OK.
  3. Decrypt a file through Command Prompt
    A. Run Command Prompt as an administrator.
    B. Type cipher /d "full path of file with extension", then press Enter.
    Note: Replace "full path of file with extension" in the command provided with the actual file path.

Get back to us with the result.

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have all my graphic designes save to external hard drive for safe keeping. My harddrive Windows 7 crashed and purchased new computer windows 10. All my files have locks which I never locked them to begin with. I need these files as they are backbone to my business.

Spent over an hour with a tech from Dell to know advail

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Roger,

This issue likely occurs if the files have been encrypted by Encrypting File System (EFS). It's a built-in encryption tool in Windows that's being used to encrypt files and folders to protect them from unwanted access. For us to troubleshoot your issue with accessing files, we suggest performing some decrypting methods. Before doing so, you need to have a full permission to access system files. To set the permission of your hard drive to full control, refer to these steps:

1. Right click on the drive letter corresponding to your hard drive, then go to Properties .
  3. On the Enter the object names to select (examples) section, type Everyone, then click OK.
  4. Click Everyone, then under Permissions for Everyone section, put a check mark on the options under Allow.
  5. Click Apply, then OK.
  7. Click the Change button under Permissions tab, then type Everyone and click OK.

8. Check the box beside Replace owner on subcontainers and objects, then click Apply. 
  11. Under Basic permissions section, check the box beside Full Control, then click OK.

A. Right-click on the file or folder that you're trying to access, then click File ownership and select Personal.
    A. Right-click on the file or folder that you're trying to access, then select Properties.
    D. Click the radio button beside "Apply changes to this folder only" or "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files" depending on your preference, then click OK.
    Note: Replace "full path of file with extension" in the command provided with the actual file path.

not work for me, anyelse best way to decrypt my file(photos .jpg)?
please!!

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Roger,

5. Click Apply, then OK.

BUT NOT WORKING ,

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi GG GROUP,

I'd like to verify if you're having the same exact issue posted by CaKe06? If no, kindly provide us an overview of the issue you're currently experiencing, the steps you've taken to resolve the issue, and the Windows build and version installed on your device. This is for us to have a better understanding regarding your concern so we can provide you the most appropriate resolution.

Your response is highly appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue Win 10 Pro Ver 1709 Build 16299.402

After in place install win 10.

Have tried all steps replied to in this thread?

Did not work.

The file names and properties are visible but can't access files, cannot open. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi gerrydog65,

You will get error 0x80071771 if you are trying to access files that were encrypted. Normally, to access these files, you need to decrypt them on the same computer or admin account that they were encrypted. However, our IT Professionals may offer some alternatives or workarounds that may help you with your concern. I suggest that you post your issue in our TechNet Forum.

Regards.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

: YES

: NO

: .JPG

: ALSO WITH OTHERS

Sorry this didn't help.