Does Windows 10 support tiered storage?

I know it works in WINDOWS SERVER 2012 R2.

I don't see the option in Windows 10.

When I added SSDs to the storage space, it just treats it like any other hard drive, which is pointless.

Questions:

1.  How do I get Win 10 to see SSDs as faster drives vs. HDDs?

2.  How to set up tiered storage in WIN 10 PRO?

3.  If it is not possible, how do I remove SSDs from the storage pool?

Thanks in advance!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

Since this issue is related to servers, we would like you to post your query on Microsoft's TechNet forum by clicking the link below. They would be glad to assist you with your issue.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ms772425

If you have any windows related queries, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Respectfully, this question is not related to servers.  The OP is asking if Windows 10 Pro supports tiered storage spaces.  I came here with the same question.  Does Windows 10 Pro allow for the creation of a tiered storage space with SSDs used to accelerate the pool?

Please provide an answer related to Windows 10 Pro.

Thank you,

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Would also like to see this answered.  Does Windows 10 Pro Storage Spaces support tiered storage?

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm guessing the lack of an answer means it is not a feature included with Windows 10 Pro. I can't find it mentioned anywhere. I found an article about how to set this up on Windows 8.1, but it involved creating the Storage Space on a Windows Server 2012 R2 machine first and then importing it as a "foreign" storage space. I might try this on a new Windows 10 build I am helping my kid put together for his gaming system.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3p11i0/10565_has_vastly_improved_storage_spaces/

Was playing around with 10565 and noticed that storage spaces has been vastly improved. The most noticeable is the control panel now has options to rebalance drives as well as a way to prep a drive for removal. Very nice. But under the hood I've also discovered that it now supports all the server 2012 R2 features - tiering, write back cache, etc. The only thing is that without a GUI, you need to configure it with powershell. But it works perfectly once you do. Hopefully they'll have a decent GUI for this soon, probably why they didn't announce it. Hopefully de-duplication and an improved ReFS are coming down from server in due time, but SS is finally good enough for everyday use.

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear sir engineer, would you be kind enough to answer the question since it is NOT about windows server?

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear sir engineer, would you be kind enough to answer the question since it is NOT about windows server?

It looks as though this was dismissed out of hand due to it being incorrectly classified as a server question. I, too, have been wondering about this ever since I installed windows 10 months ago, now that these features have finally been added it seems as though an answer should be forthcoming. Hopefully someone else from Microsoft will chime back in soon...

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Why has this question not been answered yet.  I too have previously setup tired storage on Server 2012 R2.  Now I'd like to know abut this in Windows 10?

Is it available on Windows 10?

How to you do it on Windows 10?

Please note.  My Question is about Windows 10.  NOT Windows Server.  Please don't answer by referring me to a server forum, because this is NOT related to servers.

Once again this is NOT related to servers

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It was answered.  Win 10 storage spaces supports everything the Server version does - but there's no GUI, it needs to be configured via Powershell.  Quoting from an above post (that is itself quoting from a reddit post)...

Was playing around with 10565 and noticed that storage spaces has been vastly improved. The most noticeable is the control panel now has options to rebalance drives as well as a way to prep a drive for removal. Very nice. But under the hood I've also discovered that it now supports all the server 2012 R2 features - tiering, write back cache, etc. The only thing is that without a GUI, you need to configure it with powershell. But it works perfectly once you do. Hopefully they'll have a decent GUI for this soon, probably why they didn't announce it. Hopefully de-duplication and an improved ReFS are coming down from server in due time, but SS is finally good enough for everyday use.

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This drives me crazy! Moderators like you make this 'community' support system virtually useless. Time after time after time I see the moderators post non-answer answers. It is clearly apparent you do not understand the question but you dismiss it out of hand. If you do not know what you are talking about, ASK SOMEONE WHO DOES!

40 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 19, 2024 Views 13,873 Applies to: