Disk management not showing online/offline options for hard drives

Hi, I hope someone can help.  Basically I'm used to going into Disk Management and choosing a disk, right-clicking and having the option to take that disk online/offline (usually done to keep kids/family from deleting archive stuff by accident), but the last time I went to use it, I didn't see the options.  I'm using the latest build of Windows 10 Home.  The only thing I can think of is that I recently switched from Pro to Home when I had to rebuild my PC following a motherboard failure and PC rebuild.  I'm not sure that I've tried to do it since then, but certainly the option doesn't seem to exist now.

Any ideas what this could be?  I took a screenshot but there doesn't seem to be any way to share it.

Thanks for any help!

|
Hi Dan,
I'm Independent Advisor not Microsoft employee or support person. But I'm in contact with Windows developers since 1995 - as a one of the best Windows beta-testers till 2009 when program was closed, as an MVP in 2005-2017 including Windows System & Performance nomination. So I have deep enough Windows knowledge and you may trust me. It's a pleasure for me to help others and I'll do all my best to help you.

To insert a picture you may use the second icon from the right.
Disk may be used by a system so it cannot be set offline. Try to remove a letter instead.
------------------
if you'll find someone's post helpful, mark it as an answer and rate it please. This will help other users to find answers to their similar questions.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Igor, 

thanks so much for your kind help.  As you can see, thanks to you I've at least found the 'insert picture' icon!  You will also see that the 'Online/Offline' aren't even present, let alone greyed out.

Anyway, I tried to change drive letters, and both the drives in question changed with no problem, and I've changed them back again, so it's not about system files.  They are purely archives of downloads etc.  Any other thoughts?

Thanks again

Dan

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please show disks picture without context menu. What is controller driver?
------------------
if you'll find someone's post helpful, mark it as an answer and rate it please. This will help other users to find answers to their similar questions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Is this the info you were after?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, that is. Sorry I have no idea except the problem is in Home version.

Did you try to use NTFS access rights to protect data? Or you may remove letters from Y: and V: volumes to prevent unwanted access.
------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, that is. Sorry I have no idea except the problem is in Home version.

Yes I think that it might be something that they left out of Home for some reason

Did you try to use NTFS access rights to protect data? Or you may remove letters from Y: and V: volumes to prevent unwanted access.

An elegant solution, that I didn't realise was possible.  Perfect, thanks Igor, have a great weekend!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 14, 2021 Views 3,475 Applies to: