Disk Cleanup says that I have 3.99 TB of Windows Update files to be cleaned

Disk Cleanup says that I have 3.99 TB of Windows Update files to be cleaned off of a 256 Gig solid state drive.  How is this possible and what can I do about it?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Mary

It isn't possible.

Right click the Start icon and right click Command Prompt (Admin) on the menu list. Type cd\ and press the ENTER. key Type "chkdsk c: /r" without the quotes and press the ENTER key. Make sure you include the spaces indicated. Enter Y when asked whether you wish to run chkdsk on restarting the computer. Type exit, press the ENTER key and restart the computer.

You may need to add Command Prompt to the Win+X menu.

Show Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell on Win+X menu in Windows 10:
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/22882-win-x-menu-show-command-prompt-powershell-windows-10-a.html

An easy way to see past chkdsk reports is offered by Treesize:

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

Place a shortcut to Treesize on your Desktop, right click the icon and select Run as Administrator to open Treesize. When you open Treesize select Scan from the Menu and you will see a list of drives. Click on C and it will generate a list of Folders. Expand System Volume Information and chkdsk and you will see past chkdisk logs listed. Click a log and it is opened by Notepad. The date of the log is given after Chkdsk in the format YYYYMMDD. Please right click the latest file and upload a copy to your OneDrive a post a link here.

For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks so much, Gerry, for your quick reply, but I decided to skip trying to figure out what was going on.  I too agree that it isn't possible to have 3.99 TB of stuff for Disk Cleanup to remove from a very small solid state drive, so I am sure glad I took a screen grab to save for posterity.  I am inserting that screen grab below.  I did find several similar posts on other boards and all were exactly the same as my issue and all within the last few days - but no one had any reasonable explanation.  So I decided to bite the bullet and let Disk Cleanup do its thing.  Well, it's gone and everything seems to be working just fine.  (That was also the case before I let Disk Cleanup delete that mysterious 3.99 TB of impossible files. )  Thanks again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mary

Misreporting is a symptom of file corruption. It would be sensible to run chkdsk on your c partition. I would also run System File Checker.

Please run System File Checker. Select the keyboard shortcut Win+X, and click Command Prompt (Admin) on the drop down menu. Type cd\ and press the ENTER key. Type sfc /scannow and press the ENTER key. Please say what is reported when the check completes.

After the process has finished, you may receive one of the following messages

•Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

•Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

•Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.

•Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

Which message was received?

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Gerry,

First I ran the new iteration of what used to be ScanDisk.  It came out clean so then I followed your directions and ran the System File Checker (which I had never heard of).  I am pasting a screen grab of the results so it appears that is OK too.  I have no explanation so I asked a few people at work who "should know" these things and they too were stumped - or not interested.  As I said before, the laptop is working fine and today it survived being attached to two different projectors with no hiccups. 

For a few short minutes I thought it might be heralding the arrival of the Anniversary Update.  But I haven't seen any signs of that update on any of the computers I use and I have been on the lookout for it.  Even that wouldn't make any sense so I guess I'm going to have to give up and never understand what happened. 

Thanks again.  The screen grab is below.  Mary

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mary

Those results are fine. It is better to be safe than sorry.

What follows should get you the Anniversary Update.

Are you using an ethernet cable or wireless to connect your computer to the router? An ethernet cable connection is faster and more reliable for large downloads. An ethernet cable is an inexpensive purchase.

Connect to a mains electricity supply if your computer is a laptop.

Disable your anti-virus and firewall whilst upgrading.

To update from Windows 10 to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update please click the next link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Click the Update now button in the link above to start the download.

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I work in a computer repair shop and have had several examples of this issue viz; Microsoft disk clean reporting that there is around 4TB of stuff that can be cleaned up off of HDDs and SSDs that are up to 1TB in size. I suspect that there is a slight problem with the disk clean app, that causes it to misreport the size.

The first time this occurred I completed disk clean and then ran it again. Second time it reported a minimal amount of files for removal, so I am happy that the clean-up still worked properly. When this issue pops up now and again, I have a little laugh and just continue with the disk clean.

120 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

With all due respect if we have this many machines showcasing corruption, we have a big problem.  Mine started showing this today after a security update:

Given that KB 3194798 (1607 security patch update of 10/11) also included this fix:

Improved support for the Disk Cleanup tool to free up space by removing older Windows Updates after they are superseded by newer updates.

I'm guessing that the gui is reporting incorrect info.  Let me see if I can get some attention of a product group somewhere.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Susan

From reports here there are not multiple machines malfunctioning but there have been problems arising recently regarding the use of Disk CleanUp that I have not seen in earlier versions of Windows. When looking at this issue you have to bear in mind that the limitations of Disk CleanUp have been obvious for a number of years with the result that many users have switched to third party cleaners, notably cCleaner. Disk CleanUp does, however, tackle some tasks that cCleaner does not take on. There is therefore a case for using both utilities.

An emerging problem with Disk CleanUp is that you need to shut down all open windows (put another way stop multi-tasking) to get the best results. It also seems to have a problem with File History, although the problem could be with File History not retaining settings.

The point you make about KB3194798 is not recorded as a key change:

Windows 10 update history

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history

A Windows Update CleanUp function was added to Disk CleanUp in October 2013. Can you provide further details of the latest change?

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My bad, it's the windows 7 update rollup that has the clean up in there.

Regardless, IMHO it's not corruption.  Still tracking down an answer.

CCleaner is never on any of my machines.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm guessing that the gui is reporting incorrect info.  Let me see if I can get some attention of a product group somewhere.

Hopefully it's just a GUI issue and not indicative of a bigger underlying problem. Susan, kindly keep us posted if you have any luck contacting MS regarding this issue.

Here's another thread about this that I was involved with just yesterday.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 21, 2020 Views 21,861 Applies to: