Delete Empty Disk Partition in Windows 10

I recently upgraded my laptop from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.  It has a 256 GB SSD and a 1 TB HDD, with my SSD drive designated as my C drive and running my programs and OS (the 1 TB HDD is my D drive and is limited to storage).  I am running near capacity on my C drive, so I created a recovery disk and, at the last screen, had it delete my system files to save space.  However, after doing so, it created a NEW "H" drive (partition?) that shows 10.8 GB of empty space.  I would like to delete this drive (partition?) and add that space back to my C drive.   How?  The attached graphic illustrates my dilemma.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

First watch this video:             https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWEft3g7oHQ

Below is the new link for November update ISO.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

If you are running Windows 10 and it is activated you can do a clean install. Microsoft claims you will be activated again. If you remove all partitions on Disk 1 and do a clean install on Disk 1, that should remove 10 GB partition. Highlight Disk 1 to install.  All data will be removed on C: drive and It also removes software links to D drive also. D drive can be cleaned by doing a quick format in Disk Management before installing programs.  If you attempt a clean install remove all backup drives and USB drives first. 

Remember Windows 10 framework is same as Windows 7/8.x. Even if your research related to Windows 7 it works the same.

You have to decide for yourself.  I'm not going to recommend doing a clean install. Please Remember this is not a easy task and open to errors if not done right. Ask a local repair shop tech for advice.

Good Luck!!!!!

Always Remember: whispered hints can lead to screams of success.
I'm still learning!!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

What about shrinking the volume that Windows created (I went back and turned it into a primary partition)?  Would that allow me to expand the primary partition?  See image below.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No. Disk Management would not allow this action. Not with the 829MB partition between the C and H partitions.  If C partition were next to H partition it would work.
I'm still learning!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have done a clean install, but the partition is still there.   I installed Easus, but (admittedly having spent little time to learn the program) right clicking the partition did not give me the option to merge it.  I took the computer to Geek Squad and they're stumped.  Contacted Microsoft support online and they acted like they barely understood the question.   This is incredibly frustrating.   I did nothing wrong - created restore media like I'm supposed to, and made a rational decision to save space on a limited capacity SSD.  Microsoft created this problem by creating a useless drive and should now step up to the plate and solve my problem.  I'm not finding answers.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please post a new Disk Management snapshot.
I'm still learning!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here it is.   Just like before for this drive (after the extra partition was created, I installed an additional SSD.  My new SSD is "Disk 0," my OS / C Drive with the useless partition is "Disk 1" and my HDD with data with "Disk 2."  The Unallocated Partition that I can't get rid of / merge into the C drive is circled.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

On old Disk Management org. setup

1. Is the SSD drive inside Laptop?

2. Is the Hard drive inside Laptop?

How did you do the Clean install?

Did you use a backup to restore anything?

On new Disk Management

You say My new SSD is "Disk 0". Is the new SSD inside laptop or plugin external?

Why  doesn't  the new SSD show up in Disk Management.

Disk 0 ? Is this supposed to be D Drive??????

Disk 1 Drive E as Hard Drive

Disk 2 Drive C as SSD

I'm still learning!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

All of the drives are internal.   After the new SSD was installed, and 2 resets of the OS, disk 0 is now Drive D (which was formerly assigned to my 1tb HDD), and Disk 1 (my 1 tb HDD) is now Disk 1.  Disk 2 is Drive C, which of course is my boot drive and OS.  My plan is to keep Disk 2 as my boot disk and OS as it is soldered directly to my motherboard and came preinstalled with the computer, and to install programs on my new internal SSD (Drive D), and keeping Drive E as storage for my files, photos, etc.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

All of the drives are internal.   After the new SSD was installed, and 2 resets of the OS, disk 0 is now Drive D (which was formerly assigned to my 1tb HDD), and Disk 1 (my 1 tb HDD) is now Disk 1.  Disk 2 is Drive C, which of course is my boot drive and OS.  My plan is to keep Disk 2 as my boot disk and OS as it is soldered directly to my motherboard and came preinstalled with the computer, and to install programs on my new internal SSD (Drive D), and keeping Drive E as storage for my files, photos, etc.

Okay. All drives internal.

Yes I see the shift of Disk 0 to Disk 1 and Disk 1 to Disk 2. Why does Disk 0 not show up in lower part of Disk Management ? I see Program (D) it listed in upper part. It should be listed below as Disk 0 below! Something may be wrong. Your plan my not work. Does This PC or My Computer show new SSD?

When I install a SSD , I hook up and power the SSD first and install Windows, SSD becomes Disk 0 ( C drive boot drive with other partitions) I have now installed Windows operating system.  Shutdown. Next I hook up hard drive with becomes Disk 1. Since new hard drive is not formatted it can not be used. If I go to This PC or My Computer the hard drive will not show. So I use Disk Management configure hard drive so it can be used. Reboot. Check This PC or My Computer now and hard drive will show now. Now I can configure SSD and install programs.

Ask Geek squad about maybe Installing Windows 10 on new SSD  Disk 0 and before install remove all old partitions on Disk 2(old C drive) and leave Disk 1 (hard drive) as it is. After Windows 10 installed Use Disk Management  to correct Disk 2 partitions if needed. That might work. Windows 10 install must be able to see Disk 0 as new SSD.

If I remember or heard:

If for example say if Disk X is where you want to install Windows Disk X can only have 4 partitions.

With your old install Disk 1(C drive) had 5 partitions and maybe Windows install can not remove all partitions and the 5th partition is  unallocated space to be configured or assumes this is a existing data drive and leaves it there.

The method used to Install the original Windows setup caused the unallocated 12GB space. Do  not blame Microsoft.

If your new computer advertised specs said it had for example 240GB drive installed. What They did not say was C drive contain 240 GB,  but if config the unallocated space as another drive it will.

I'm still learning!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just a note I hope your plan works.
I'm still learning!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 11, 2023 Views 25,629 Applies to: