Cast to Device (XBox One) Not Working on Windows 10

Hello, 

After receiving the update Cast to Device does not appear to be working properly. When I right-click on the file and select Cast to Device (formerly Play To), the appropriate window pops up (Windows Digital Media Controller Application), the XBox goes to Videos, and both show Connecting. That's it, it doesn't continue to play the file. The Cast to Server file is also present in Task Manager, but it doesn't appear to be connecting. 

Things I've tried: 

1) Forgetting and refinding the XBox server from my PC

2) Using Troubleshoot for Hardware and Devices

3) Playing videos from the new Movies and TV app (it also says it is connecting but never does) 

4) Hard reboots on both PC and XBox 

Is there a certain .exe file I can add or delete? I haven't gotten around to recognizing some of the newer operating files but with Windows 8.1 if I deleted Windows Digital Media Controller Application from Task Manager, the XBox would go back to the Video home page. Now it still stays stuck in the Connecting screen, which makes me think there's another file running that I could delete and cut the connection. 

Hope someone can help! I don't want to revert but this is how I use my XBox the most so I might. 

Answer
Answer
ok so i had the same issue trying to use the cast to function and after speaking to 2 different techs i tried a few things myself, what worked for me was, searched for streaming on my pc, and noticed that the firewall or windows defender had streaming turned off i turned it on and set it so that all the devices i wanted could access my media and sure as hell it worked 

287 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 2, 2020 Views 76,916 Applies to: