Can't preview jpg files in the preview pane -- Windows 10 Fall Update (1709)

Split from this thread.

I have this issue and it started with the Windows 10 Fall update (1709).  jpg files are not displayed in the preview pane but other files are displayed (pdf, docx, xlxs, etc.).  I've tried setting the default jpg program to several different programs to no avail.  Prior to the 1709 update, jpg files were displayed in the File Explorer preview pane.  It seems to be an issue with the 1709 update.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Noticed the same problem since 1709. The option to show icons is NOT checked and never has been, although I look there every few days just in case. The preview pane is empty white for most JPEGs, but not all. No discernable difference in the files. What's more, since 1709, most JPEGs don't even show their thumbnails, just a generic white-and-blue icon. Again, not every JPEG, but most. To make the thumbnails appear, I have to open a photo by double-clicking (opens in Photos). But even then the thumbnail only survives a while. It's back to generic icons tomorrow. 

Initially I blamed it on my user account, so I went through the laborious process of starting with a new user account, but the problem remains. 

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Check which application is associated with JPG files. Right click on a JPG file, select "open with" menu option, then "Choose Another App" from the child menu which appears. 

Ensure you are using the "Photos" application. 

I suspect you have installed another graphics package such as paint.net and it has taken over the file assocation.

Problem is that Explorer need to get that application to render the image for display in the preview window, and if it cannot do so the preview window will remain blank.

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My problem is not related to file association, I've tried changing file association to multiple programs, including MS Paint.  To clarify, my problem is with jpg files not displaying in the File Explorer preview pane and has nothing to do with file icons.

I've discovered the problem is related to the new 1709 update feature "OneDrive Files On-Demand".  The problem with jpg files not displaying in the File Explorer preview pane only occurs for files that are on OneDrive with "Files On-Demand" enabled.  I have some files & folders specified as "Always Keep on this device" and I expect files to be displayed in preview -- and they are except for jpg files.  Other file types (pdf, txt, docx, xlsx, etc.) preview without issue.  jpg files on disk only and not on OneDrive ARE displayed in preview, the problem is only for jpg files on OneDrive, even though "Always keep on this device" is enabled.

If "Files On-Demand" is enabled and "Always keep on this device" is not enabled (files are in the cloud only) then no files are previewed (makes sense).

I have another computer that was just updated to 1709.  The "Files on demand" feature has not been enabled so all OneDrive files are on disk.  It displays jpg files on OneDrive in preview without issue.

To summarize my problem as I see it...  jpg files on OneDrive are not displayed in File Explorer preview if and only if "Files On-Demand" is enabled, even though those files are kept on disk.

33 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Interesting! When I posted yesterday, I believed the selection of Photos as the application to view had solved my issue. 

I subsequently found it had for a number of files - around 40%.

I don't use OneDrive, and these were all fresh pictures I had just taken on iPhone and copied to PC.

Another thread suggested changing file ending from uppercase JPG to lowercase jpg; and after I did this I was able to preview all images.

What a muddle! 

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had this same problem in Windows 7, and after scouring the internet for hours (days) and pulling my hair out, finally noticed that it was only .JPG files in all CAPS, not lowercase.

So I guess something changed in a Windows 7 update as well as Windows 10 (and I assume others?), because I have never seen this problem before and some of these JPGs haven't changed since the 90s.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem.  I am a photographer so it slows me down.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Have you checked if you have the latest update for your Windows 10? Have you also encountered this after installing Fall Creators Update?

What are the troubleshooting steps you've already done? If nothing yet, let's run the following scans to repair missing or corrupted system files:

• System File Checker
    The System File Checker or SFC is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore these corrupted files.
  • DISM or System Update Readiness tool
    The DISM or Deployment Image Servicing and Management can help you fix some Windows corruption errors as well.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Regards.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've had this problem on all my computers.  It only happens on JPGs in OneDrive.  If they're on the computer, but not in OneDrive, they preview as they should.  Eventually, they started working in OneDrive on all 4 of my devices.  This device, I had to reset and since then, it reverted back to not showing previews of JPGs in OneDrive. I've unclicked "save space and download files as I need them" which seemed to work the last time, so I'll see if it works again this time or if something else made that happen, that I wasn't aware of.

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Finally found the solution.

Now that Windows 10 has nearly removed the old Control Panel; several items which are only available via the Control Panel are harder to find.

Open the old Control Panel; type into the Win10 Search Field "Control Panel" and then click the result to Open it. Make sure the Categories option is set; then click on Appearance and Personalisation; then File Explorer Options.

A new window will open -- click on the View tab.

The first choice "UNCHECK" Always show icons, never thumbnails.

- - - - - - - - - -

I have now also found this same setting in the View Menu of Windows 10 File Explorer. At the far right-side of the header ribbon after clicking on the View Tab is an icon labelled Options.

Clicking this -- select the first choice "Change Folder and Search Options. A new window opens. Click on the View Tab; then again UNCHECK the first choice "Always show icons, never thumbnails."

559 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is an easy solution for this. Copy (not cut) the images without preview and paste them back in the same folder. Now you will get the preview and can delete the originals.

48 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2024 Views 53,170 Applies to: