Can't edit my photos in Windows 10 Pro

In Windows 10 Pro (on my Dell M4400 laptop computer) when I click on the Windows (Start?) button at the extreme lower left of my screen and then click on "Photos" and then click on a photo, it opens up the photo.  But then when I try to edit it (by clicking on the "Edit" (pencil shaped icon) toward the top right of the screen I get the error message "Can't Edit.  We're having trouble opening this file for editing."

I get this error message for all the photos I've opened, whether they are on the computer's desktop or on my OneDrive.

Update:  As of 8/27/2015 this problem is still unresolved...

Answer
Answer

I had this exact same issue.

The following corrected it for me and will hopefully help someone in the future.

My setup is that I have recently upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro.

I am using a microsoft account to log in. This the first time I have used this feature.

All my media is on a secondary hard disk.

Initially using the photo app enabled me to see photos but not edit. I got the "Can't Edit.  We're having trouble opening this file for editing." Trying the above steps did not fix it for me.

I began to realise it may be a UAC control issue since when placing new media in this location it showed the security sign.

Right clicking on my media folder (infact I clicked on the hard disk since it is all devoted to media) and changing the security of the 'Authenticated Users' to Full Control, making sure everything was ticked, fixed it for me. A dialog box was shown with all the files security settings rapidly changing.

From this point onwards the photo app could edit (because presumably now it had permission too).

Regards,

Doug

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 29, 2020 Views 24,571 Applies to: