Cannot access USB shared drives after upgrade to Windows 10

Title says it all.

I had external USB drives shared under Win8.1, accessible from a WD TV Live box through windows shares. 

Since upgrading to Win10, I can't see the folders shared in those USB drives anymore from the WD TV Live. I can see folders shared from internal drives, though. I've tried removing the shares and recreating them, to no avail. 

Anyone knows if I am missing something, or did Win10 break something with USB drive sharing?

I only installed Win10 a couple of days ago, so I can go back to Win8.1 if needed. Would rather not go through the process, but this is a deal breaker for me :(

Tx in advance!

Question Info

Last updated November 23, 2019 Views 3,651 Applies to:

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As your are facing issues with accessing USB shared folders, do let us know if you were able to see any error code/ error notification with this issue.

I suggest you to try few of try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to disable the firewall settings and check if it helps.

NOTE: Antivirus software helps protecting your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software and\or troubleshoot any pertinent issue, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to malware attacks.

Step 2: If the issue still persists, I suggest you to perform clean boot to avoid any third party software conflict and check.

Disclaimer: Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue to assist you further.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks, will try tonight, but it will probably not help. Remember: shared folders in internal drives are OK and seen by the WD Live TV, it's only the USB drives that don't show up (despite appearing as shared in Win10).

Looks like something related to USB shares changed between Win8.1 and Win10.

Anyway, will report back later today.

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, tried both solutions, and results were the same: no USB share on WD TV Live.

I kept digging around online an eventually found a solution: A registry key needs to be created, called IRPStackValue. It existed on previous versions, apparently, but not on Windows 10. I gave it a value of 32 (Hex 20).

After creating the key, WD TV Live shows both internal and external drives. Also, I checked the event log for my system, and sure enough, it says the IRPStackValue was too low, which begs the question why does the key not exist, but that's another point :)

In case anyone stumbles unto this, this is the way to create the key:

1) Run regedit.

2) Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

3) In the right pane, double-click the IRPStackSize value (if it exists, if not, see below). In the Value Data box, type a Hex value of 20 (32 decimal) and then click OK.

4) Close the Registry Editor and restart the computer.

If the problem persists after you complete the preceding procedure, try to increase the value of IRPStackSize even more. The maximum value for Windows 2000 was 50 (0x32 hex), so you should stay below that.

How the create the IRPStackSize value:
1) In the Parameters folder of the registry, right-click the right pane.
2) Point to New, and then click DWord Value (32 bits).
3) Type IRPStackSize exactly as it is displayed because the value name is case-sensitive.

Hope this helps other people.

28 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for responding on Microsoft Community.

We are glad to hear that the issue is sorted out. We appreciate you for the effort and time that you spent to resolve the issue.

Feel free to contact us for any further assistance on Windows Operating System. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

YES!!!!!!  YES!!!! Adding this registry value fixed it for me too!!!!   I wss at my wits end!

NONE of my USB drives shares would show up on my WDTV Live device, but they do show up on other windows 10 machines!  So I was SCREWED!  I added this registry value, as it was empty, then rebooted the pc, and now it works!  TYTYTYTY SO MUCH I LOVE YOU!

Working perfectly with permisisons and password access too just the way I want it!!

YAY!!!

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

IT WORKED!! YAY!  TYTYTYTYTYTYTYTY!

Sorry this didn't help.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I've been looking for a solution to this problem for over an hour and this was such an easy fix your the best :D

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings,

Is it IRPStackValue or IRPStackSize? You say both.

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.