Automated Windows 10 updates deleted all my documents and files

I am in a state of shock. I was already using windows 10 and last night automated updates started without allowing me to stop them. This morning my computer is cleaned out with all thosevery important document deleted!!! Microsoft can do that??? How can I recover them ALL?????

John

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup

Question Info

Last updated August 17, 2019 Views 28,497 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello John,

Files being lost after an update may be caused by you're signed in with a temporary profile or the files are moved to Windows.old folder. We recommend that you follow the methods below to retrieve your files:

Method 1: See if you're signed in with a temporary profile

1. Go to Settings then Accounts.
  2. Click Sync your settings on the left pane.
  3. Check if you see a message at the top that states You are logged on with a temporary profile. Roaming options are currently unavailable, if yes; Restart your computer then sign in again.

Note: We can't sign into your account. This problem can often be fixed by signing out of your account and then signing back in. can also be address by restarting your PC and signing in again.

You should back up everything you worked on since upgrading to an external drive, or it'll be deleted when you sign out of the temporary account.

Method 2:

Select the search box on the taskbar and search for your files. If you don’t see them and you’re not signed in with a temporary profile, use the troubleshooter to fix problems with Search. In the search box on the taskbar, type indexing, and then select Indexing Options. Select the Advanced Administrator icon button to view more options, then select the Troubleshoot search and indexing link and follow the steps.

More things to try:

• Some files might be hidden from view. In the search box, enter Show hidden files and folders. Under Hidden files and folders, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives. Then try searching for your files again.
  • Look for all files of a certain type using the asterisk (*). For example, to search for all Word documents, search for *.doc. For music files, search for *.mp3.
  • When you upgraded to Windows 10, some of your files may have been moved. To check the location of files you find, press and hold (or right-click) the file and select Open file location. Copy any files you want to move to a different location.

Method 3: Search for Windows.old folder

Click this link on how to retrieve file from the Windows.old folder. The article is also applicable for Windows 10.

If you think this was useful, feel free to "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Let us know if the methods above worked.

22 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

How can I chat with some experts to solve this problem?

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

You may click this support link to contact Answer Desk for further assistance about addressing the issue.

Update us with the status of the issue.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

You may click this support link to contact Answer Desk for further assistance about addressing the issue.

Update us with the status of the issue.

Oh my GOD what on earth is happening!!! On  Saturday January 6, 2017 in the evening I was working on my  computer and automated Windows 10 updates started with a warning that this may take a while and the computer might start several times please do not shut your computer. I decided to go to bed and let Windows do its own thing. On Sunday morning when I  went to see it the updates completed, to my surprise my computer was cleaned out like new. All those document on my desktop were no longer there as well as the third part programs icons(Anaconda, python, Oracle Virtual Box, pictures, my lecture videos, you name it ) I panicked, I saw 6 Windows.old folders and looked in the and they were all empty.I could not believe Windows can do this . I started seeking for help on MS websites and  on two occasions online assistants based in SE Asia remoted into my computer and they told me what I did not want to hear that there is no data on my computer!!!! I asked where did the updates take my data to and their answer was updates are not supposed to to delete data. The referred me to a local Microsoft Store to look at my computer and the store agent told me the same thing that the data was not on my computer and they do not do data recovery and I better contact a data recovery company called Seagate at my cost. I told my cowokers this they told me if I was using Linux that would not have happened. I have not used any operating System in my life but Windows. I asked the agent if each update type has no its (Reverse Type) to undo what it did and the answer was I have never heard that. MY Question is. Why does Microsoft push automated updates that wipe clients data and they cannot reverse what the updates have done? I am confused and  cannot believe this. If there are GURUs there your help on this is required

John

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Exactly the same thing here! What´s going on?

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I can only offer some guidance/things to check yourself.

Make sure you are using the same sign-in name as you were previously.

Check using File Explorer for any user name folders that are similar to your usual sign-in name. Expand This PC and then expand C:, expand the Users folder and look in the individual folder names listed for common default folders. (Desktop, Documents etc.)

If you want to try it go to Settings > Update and security select View installed update history and there should be an option to Roll back to the previous build. (if you have just updated)

Although this is after the event:

Always keep a second backup copy of important files.

Don't keep files on your desktop. Use the default folders Documents, Videos etc. and use shortcuts on the desktop to those file locations.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

There is zero excuse for an autoupdate deleting everything on a computer. None.  I had already backed up everything because I knew about the garbage that Microsoft always pulls...  But I never would have thought they'd go this far.  Inexcusable. If I tried to run the family business this way we would go bankrupt in a month.

27 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

i totally agree, I woke up turned on my computer and was shocked to my core when over 300 gb of files had been deleted, my photographs, music everything....they even deleted from my desktop...then they come out with some super technical 'how to get it back ' psychobabble..........well you type in this and type in that......oh yeah thanks for your useless update

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

My machine ran an update last night while I was out, when I got home fired up the machine and it was almost reset to factory level, all documents, i music, photographs, videos have all been erased. I have tried using recovery software but they are nowhere to be found on the hard drive. I should NOT have to back up my files everyday due to the risk of Microsoft's arrogance to force updates which appear to be containing malicious capabilities.  I am terrified to turn on my laptop as that contains a LOT of very sensitive design data, what if they have all been erased.

So Microsoft, what have you done, why did you allow this update to contain such capabilities, and what are you going to do to enable me to recover my files. This problem is most clearly of your making, you take my money, I use the service, you cannot allow your system to wreck peoples lives at will.

FYI: The contents of the Windows.old file has also been erased, any more great advice you would like to share with us???

·

Sorry this didn't help.

A recent update has wiped all of our files, pictures, music and deleted programs (iTunes). What next??

·

Sorry this didn't help.