Authorization error when mapping NAS drive from new Windows 10 laptop

Hi!

Not so tech-savvy user here, with problems establishing a mapped connection from my Windows 10 laptop to my Buffalo LinkStation NAS drive.

The error message I get: "The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred: The account is not authorized to log in from this station."

Notes:

• I CANNOT connect/map it from my Windows 10 work laptop (probably has plenty of additional workplace-installed security stuff, and access restrictions that I can't override)
    • It doesn't work through the "NAS Navigator" that I downloaded - it sees the drive, but won't let me explore it.
    • It doesn't work when mapping through File Explorer
      • I am never asked for a username/password
    • I AM able to access the NAS settings by accessing it via its static IP address
    • I CANNOT even access it from the cloud via WebAccess, which works on my phones, on my friends' computers, etc.
  • I CAN connect/map it from my other laptops (including my previous Windows 7 work laptop, with probably the same security stuff and access restrictions, and also my own personal Windows Vista machine)
    • I do not need to connect with a username/password

What I've tried:

• Rebooting the NAS
  • Rebooting the laptop
  • Disabling Windows Firewall on the laptop
  • Enabling SMB on the NAS and the laptop
  • Enabling SMB2 on the NAS and the laptop and rebooting
  • Creating a a DWORD value called 'AllowInsecureGuestAuth' in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters and setting the value to 1. see here - note, I really probably shouldn't be playing with registry values, being that I don't know what I'm doing!
  • I think I tried a few other things... can't remember them all.

Anyone wanna lend a hand in solving this mystery?

This question is outside the scope of this site (for consumers) and to be sure you get the best (and quickest) answer it should be asked either on Technet (for IT Pro's) or MSDN (for developers)

If you give us a link to the new thread we can point some resources to it
Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Oh, OK.  I've posted here now.  Not sure if it's the right place, but there it is!  Resources would be appreciated :)

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/341b9f2a-265c-45c5-a24e-de91b209bf9b/authorization-error-when-mapping-nas-drive-from-new-windows-10-laptop?forum=win10itproapps

Cheers!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Subscribed and notified the relevant resources.  Good Luck
Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 18, 2020 Views 1,045 Applies to: