archiving e-mails in Windows 10

Hi, hope somebody can help.

I have recently started using a ‘new’ Windows 10 laptop that I actually bought about 3 years ago – been in its box since then.

I have had e-mail set up but am unable to organise mails into separate projects as was possible with Windows 7. I have seen more recent versions which include an ‘archive’ button but this does not appear here. This was the subject of a mail I read on-line and there did not seem to be a solution to it.

I also need to know how to move archived e-mails to a remote drive. 

I don’t really want to have to start using Outlook or the Cloud if I can help it.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards, Wayne Parr.

Hi Wayne Parr,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10. I understand that you want to Archive emails on your Windows 10 computer. I’ll help you with the steps.

Windows 10 comes with its own email client called Windows Mail, which helps you access all your emails on the go.

To archive your emails, open the Windows Mail app, right click on the email and select Archive.

To check the emails that you have archived, on the left pane, click on More and select Archive, you will be able to see the emails. Refer the screenshot below:

If you do not find the option, please reply with the details requested below:

1. What is the version of Mail app? To check open Mail app, click on Gear icon and select About.

2. What is the build version of Windows that you are using currently? To check type: winver in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit Enter.

We await your response.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Nikhar

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Unfortunately on my version there is no 'archive' option under 'All Folders' and this has been the issue from the start.

As requested, the Mail Version is 16005.12228.20356.0 and the Windows Version is 1909 (OS build 18363.535). I did try looking for a Mail update but saw that Microsoft no longer support this product. 

I can't make screen shots but under All Folders I only have - outbox, inbox, deleted, drafts, sent.

Surely Microsoft didn't publish a mail software where mails could not be filed and archived.

Kind regards, Wayne.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You have the latest mail app. If you select Folders and a pop-out appears showing All folders does it appear there.

You need to remember that the Mail app is just reading what is on the Microsoft mail server so you should be able to Archive if the folder is available at www.outlook.com (if you use a Microsoft account) but you won't be able to move mail to an external drive.

What is available using a web browser for your account.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Neil

Thanks and apologies for not replying earlier.

I don't seem to have the latest Mail App as the archive button doesn't exist on the version I have. It would be great if it were that simple.

I think I am going to have to go with Microsoft Outlook to sort this out but it all looks far too complicated for me. Oh for Windows 7.

Perhaps you might help with another problem which has just arisen...

The windows Photos App has just started playing up. The forward and back buttons have disappeared and Slideshow keeps showing the same photo. I have tried repair and reset but no effect.

Is ther another photo viewing software I can download.

Many thanks for your time but I am increasingly despondent with Windows 10. I can't see its an improvement on anything and I'm sure many people with out a degree in computing feel the same way.

Kind regards, Wayne Parr

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mail has updated since you started this thread, it's now Version 16005.12430.20280.0.

Do you use a Microsoft account for your mail.

Did you check if there is an Archive folder when using a web browser at www.outlook.com.

When you have a photo open you should be able to see the right or left arrows for forward and back if you mouse over the right or left area of the app.

Photos is the default for Windows 10 to view pictures. If you right click a photo in File Explorer and select Open with you can see if you have other options for viewing photos.

There is a way to use the old photo viewer in Windows 10 as the default but you need to look see what is available on your computer first.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 26, 2020 Views 909 Applies to: