Windows 10 Won't play/recognize .mts files

I did my free upgrade to Windows 10 last week.  Noticed yesterday that when I put in my memory card to move my AHDC .mts video files over, nothing will play or open them now.  I tried Windows Media Player, Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Premiere and VLC player, but nothing works!

I was liking Windows 10 until this.  No I'm mad, frustrated and depressed that I even upgraded.  

Please, anyone help without having to try and roll-back to Windows 8!

Question Info

Last updated May 23, 2019 Views 12,120 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Harrison,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated. 

I’m sorry to know that "Windows 10 won't paly or recognize .mts files". I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

I can imagine how frustrating this must be on your end. Don't worry, I'll be happy to assist you with this.

To assist you further with this issue, please let us know the following information.

•   Are you getting any error message ? If so, please provide the complete error message?

Please be informed that your computer may miss the code, download and install K-lite code pack may fix the problem.

K-lite code pack is free and safe, and it includes almost all video code and audio code. Or you may convert your video to wmv video and try if that helps.

Please let us know, if you need any further help and we would be glad to assist you further.
Thank you.

35 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Fist, Reply didn't work using IE11 on a Windows 7 laptop! Forced sigin, but sigin wouldn't work UGH!

Yes, WMP error "WMP cannot play the file. The player might not support the file type or might not support the code that was used to compress the file." 

Same error for. Mts,

Tried the new Movies & TV app but get error Can't play 0xc00d36b4 (0xc00d36b4) on .mts, or .mp4. For .mov, WMP won't play and Movies & TV only plays the audio. Mp4 worked for a second then after I got the mts error mp4 files gave the same error above.

I'll look for the K-lite code pack and give it a try.

Thanks 

Max 

*** Email address is removed for privacy *** 

Sorry this didn't help.

I downloaded the K-lite code pack and tried the Tweak to disregard (I think it was) .mts files, but I'm still having issues with the video part of the .mts and other files. The audio is the only part that appears.  I am trying to create videos f or YouTube of  football fotage, and this is getting old real quick. 

Pondering moving to a MacBook becsuse of all the hassle with "freeware!"

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you further to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to update the graphic drivers. Follow the methods provided below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Update drivers.

I suggest you to update graphic drivers and check if it helps. Follow the steps given below.

1. Press Windows key + X key and click on Device manager.

2. Search for Display Adapters.

3. Right-click on the graphics card and click on Update driver software.

You may also download the latest graphic drivers from the manufacturer’s website and install them on your computer.

If the issue still persist, I suggest you to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check.

Method 2:

Follow the steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode.

1. Download the drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

2. Right-click on the installer and click on "Properties".

3. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for” and select previous Operating System from the drop down.

4. Click on ‘Apply’ and click ‘OK’ and run the file to install it.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further information, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem, and I really don't think this is a display adapter problem. This is a windows X problem with .mts files. I upload to YouTube, and had no problems at all with .mts files before I upgraded to 10. .mts is a very common format, I am pretty disappointed that Microsoft didn't get this right. This needs to get fixed soon, or I am going to back to 7, or even better, to Apple....

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lauri,

We're sorry to hear the inconvenience you have experienced.

Let us gather some information to help you in this regard:

* What troubleshooting steps did you tried?

* Did you tried updating and installing the graphics card drivers?

* Did you tried installing the graphics card drivers in compatibility mode?

* Which player or application you're using to play them?

Let me confirm that updating graphics card drivers will most probably will fix the issue. If the problem is with compatibility then you can install the drivers in compatibility mode to resolve the issue.

Hope this will address your query.

Sorry this didn't help.

I was having similar problems. Explorer would lock up any time I even opened a folder containing an .MTS file. And opening one to edit in Movie Maker? Fuggedabowdit!

The Microsoft responses weren't entirely helpful, but they did amazingly point me in the right direction.

If you try to update your drivers through Windows, it's probably going to tell you that they are up to date. That's what it told me. That wasn't accurate in my case. I went looking for a driver to download directly from the manufacturer (Intel, for me), and found an even-more-updated updated driver. Installed it, restarted, and all things seem bright and beautiful at the moment.

Thank you Jesus and Intel forum users, and even a little thanks to the Microsoft folks, too.

Below is the link to the Intel forum that got me to the right driver download. Outs!der's second comment is the one that was my fix. https://communities.intel.com/thread/77891?start=0&tstart=0

I hope this helps someone else.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am also having a problem but not exactly the same problem.

I have a brand new computer with Windows 10 pre-installed.  My camera does AVCHD (MTS) videos.  When I click on the videos and play them on my computer it will partially play them but they are wonky and have crisp, sharp lines in them.  

Not sure what fix will help....

Sorry this didn't help.

The videos won't work on a mac without a converter.  I recently thought I could make the switch to a mac and was completely wrong.  My husband and I are professional photographers and have multiple external hard drives with pictures and videos.  Sadly, none of the external hard drives would work on the mac.  I could only view them but not make changes or move the files around.   None of my videos would work and there were a lot of things that windows users will miss by switching to a mac.  I couldn't make the switch.  Too much trouble.  

Sorry this didn't help.

This didn't work for me.  It says that I have the most current and up to date drivers.

Sorry this didn't help.