Windows 10 - File Explorer and Access 2013 Files

I'm noticing some rather odd behavior in Windows 10.  I've got Access 2013 installed as part of the Office 2013 Pro Plus suite (x64 edition).  I've found an odd glitch of sorts where if I use Windows Explorer to browser to a folder containing an Access file and double-click the file to open it, it takes about 30 seconds for Access to open and load the file.

I tested this also with an Excel file, and it does the exact same thing.

If I open the program first and then use the program itself to open the file, the file loads instantly.  The programs themselves open instantly if opened directly.

I originally thought maybe this was a OneDrive glitch, but after moving the files to another folder that isn't synced by OneDrive, the problem remained.

My system has a 4GHz AMD 8-core CPU, 16GB of RAM, two 240GB SSDs in RAID 0 for the boot drive, two 7200RPM HDDs in RAID 0 for a data drive.  It's odd because the system actually boots up from a cold boot faster than it can open a small Excel file after double-clicking it in Explorer.

Has anyone else had this issue or know what might be causing this?

Hi Dave,

1. Does the issue occur only with Microsoft Office files?
  2. Are you facing any other performance issues?

You may follow these steps and try to run the System Maintenance troubleshooter:

Press Windows key + X on the keyboard.

Click on Control panel.

Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Control panel search box.

Click on Troubleshooting and click on View all.

Click on System Maintenance troubleshooter and follow the on-screen instructions.

As you have RAID configuration, the issue you posted would be better suited in the TechNet Security Forums. I would recommend posting your query in the TechNet Forums:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=WinPreview2014

Hope it helps.

Rohit S

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, the issue only occurs with Office files.  Photoshop loads all of its files very quickly when I double-click them in Explorer.  I don't think this is a RAID problem ... I've never had issues with Office 2013 and RAID on any of my other computers - and there's been a lot of them.

I'm not experiencing any other performance issues.  If I load any of the Office programs directly, they open instantaneously.  If I open Excel and then open the workbook file from within Excel, there is no delay at all.  The same thing happens with both Word and Access.

If I create a shortcut icon and use this in the path for the shortcut:

"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\EXCEL.EXE" D:\Path\File.xlsx

Then, the file and program load instantaneously.

The only time it does it is if I browse into a folder using Explorer and double-click an Office file to open it.  Then I get the little spinning hourglass for about 20-30 seconds before the program finally opens with the file I clicked.

We run Office 2013 on over 200 computers at work and I've never had this issue before.  It's very bizarre.

I tried running Process Monitor from SysInternals ... but I didn't find anything useful there.  The only other thing I can think of to check is to look up the registry values for the default programs and see if something there is weird.

Beyond this, I'm at a complete loss here.  I've got another computer nearly identical to this one with a fresh copy of Win10 installed on it.  I still need to install Office on it, so I'll install Office 2013 on that first and see if it has similar problems.

I'll post back with anything I find out.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I wanted to post a quick update.  It seems that my file associations are completely hosed under the HKCR registry tree.  One thing I noticed is that some of the Office file extensions (like .docx) are populated with information - but the information was all weird.

Here is an example of what I mean by "weird":

This is under the registry key: HKCR\Word.Document.12\shell\Open\command:

Other known extensions (like .doc) are missing information altogether.

Another odd thing I've noticed is that some Office files (like .doc) have Adobe Illustrator listed as a program to open them.  My guess is that maybe the CS6 Master Collection fouled up my file extensions somehow.  I've installed this many times though and it has never happened before ... although this IS the first time I've installed CS6 + Office 2013 on Windows 10.  Maybe this is a bug or glitch?

I'm going to see if just running a "Repair" on Office 2013 will fix this problem.  I will post updates as I learn more.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Update:  The weird registry keys are normal.  I installed Office 2013 onto the second computer that is nearly identical to this one and the registry keys are weird on it too.

Changing any of the values breaks the ability to launch the program by double-clicking an associated file in Explorer.

On the second PC here that is nearly identical to this one, double-clicking files in Explorer works flawlessly.  I did make sure to install the CS6 Master Collection on that PC first though, but I don't think that really had anything to do with it.  I've installed the CS6 Master Collection on hundreds of PCs at work after Office was already installed and it never gave me problems before.

At least I know it's not a bug specific to Windows 10 and Office.

The only caveat is that I tested the other PC before I let Windows Update install the 30-some-odd updates for Office.  Maybe an update is breaking it?  It's downloading and installing those updates now.  With specs similar to this PC, it won't take long for it to finish.  I'll do another test on it when it finishes the updates.

I'm going to completely uninstall Office 2013 on this PC and reinstall it.  I'll post back with the results.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Update:

Uninstalling and reinstalling Office did not help.

I'm out of options at this point.  I'll keep messing with it but the "solution" might be to simply reinstall Windows from scratch and try again.  *sigh*

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Final Update:

I never did track down the issue to a point where it was "solved" in the sense that I found the exact culprit.  What it boiled down to was that just re-installing Windows and my programs was going to take less time than trying to figure out where things went AWOL.

I reinstalled Windows yesterday and then installed the following software in the following order:

• Adobe Master Collection CS6
    • Did NOT install the Acrobat software this time around.
  • TechSmith Camtasia Studio 8
  • Pinnacle Studio 18
  • Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 x64

The problem is gone now.

This thread is SOLVED.

My recommendation to others would be the following:

1)  If you're installing Adobe Master Collection CS6 and Office 2013 x64 on Windows 10 x64, install the CS6 Master Collection FIRST.

2)  There were other users on the Net that reported issues with Adobe's Acrobat PDF Maker and Office 2013.  I tried uninstalling just that portion before I re-imaged my machine, but it didn't do me any good.

3)  I chose not to install Acrobat at all this go-around, but the other computer sitting next to me here DOES have it installed and Office 2013 is working just fine.

4)  The only common denominator between these two computers is that I installed the CS6 software FIRST and then installed Office 2013.  I never had this issue in Win7 or Win8.x, so I'm surprised that it is suddenly an issue now in Win10.

5)  Do yourself a huge favor and right after you get Office installed under Win10 and everything is playing nicely, MAKE A MANUAL RESTORE POINT.

Cheers!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 27, 2018 Views 203 Applies to: