Windows 10 - Creating Customized WIndows Folder Templates

Several years ago, I created a customized template for my music folders in Windows Vista that included 10 columns (Title / Album Artist / Contributing Artist / Year / Album / # / Genre / Length / Bit Rate / Rating) and applied this template to all my music folders.  

When I upgraded first to Windows 8.1 and then WIndows 10, these columns stayed as I wanted them to be.

However, in mid September 2016, over half of my music folders (I have over 7000 of them) reverted to a 4 column template (# / Title / Contributing Artist / Album).

The lead folders all show my original template, but despite selecting "the apply to all subfolders checkbox", the reverted folders still display on the 4 columns.  

I have checked several videos online, but none of them tell me how to create a new folder template.

Hi,

In order for us to assist you on how to customized Windows folder templates. Kindly follow these steps:

Method 1: Change Folder Group by View from File Explorer Ribbon.

1. In File Explorer, open the folder you want to change the group by the view of its content.
2. Click/tap on the View tab (Alt+V).
3. Click/tap on Group by in the ribbon, and click/tap on the detail (ex: Name) you want to group items by in this folder.

4. Select to group items in this folder by ascending (default) or descending order with the selected detail (ex: Name).

Method 2: To Change Folder Sort by View from Context Menu

1. In File Explorer, open the folder you want to change the group by the view of its content.
2. Right click or press and hold on an empty area inside the folder, click/tap on Group by, and click/tap on the detail (ex: Name) you want to group items by in this folder.

3. Select to group items in this folder by ascending (default) or descending order with the selected detail.

Let us know how it goes.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

That doesn't come close to answering my question.  I have no idea where you got the sorting idea from as I never mentioned it in the orginal query.

I want to know why in early September all my music folders had 10 columns (see original query) and in late September over half of them only had 4 (again see original query).

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there any update that took effect prior to the changes of the columns on your music folders?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey! I was troubled by that problem too! The reason was different though. Try to do these things:

1. Enter any of the folder which has the customised look as you want. Click the 'options' button under 'view' tab in the explorer ribbon. Next, navigate to 'view' tab in the newly opened windows and click on 'apply to all folders'. Click 'yes' on the prompt window that will pop up.

2. If the above step doesn't get things right, do this next: Verify that the folders that do not have your customisation are optimized for songs.

If you have any more queries, please ask.

29 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is almost there- my only question is, it seems like this option will apply these details to all folders all over the computer? I only want to apply them to a certain folder and its subfolders. What, specifically, is the "all" in all folders? I tried using a template in the customize option (under properties) but it doesn't seem to be working at all. Thank you. 

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2024 Views 8,969 Applies to: