Windows 10 corrupts files without warning on SD & CF memory cards (FAT32)

Summary: Windows 10 suspected to corrupt/destroy files without warning on memory cards when plugged in

Problem description:

• After upgrading to Windows 10 I put a SD-card (FAT32 formatted) into my external USB card reader.
  • The files on the memory card appear in green text - internet search indicate the files are (or are believed to be) encrypted by Windows EFS:

• Going to properties | advanced for the file the attribute shows that "Encrypt contents to secure data" is ticked - clicking the Details button shows and empty window where "Users who can access this file" is empty and "Recovery certificates for this file as defined by recovery policy" is empty:

• Trying to untick "Encrypt contents to secure data" followed by OK and Apply results in "Access Denied" and then "Error Applying Attributes" (I have administrator privileges on my account and I use Run As Administrator on my Windows Explorer) 

Further steps performed:

• On my Windows 8.1 laptop, using the same card reader and card, the files appear in black and not encrypted - but they appear to be corrupt and can't be read as WAV-files following the "incident" on the desktop computer.
  • I have two cards with the same files, a SD-memory card and a CF-memory card because my audio recorder records to two cards for safety and backup reasons. Unfortunately I tried to access both cards in the reader on my Windows 10 computer and both memory cards now behave the same - messages as above on my Windows 10 computer and corrupt when accessing them on my laptop.

Since this happened following the Windows 10 upgrade, and the same behaviour took place on two memory cards, and EFS is not supported on FAT, I can only guess that this is a very dangerous bug.

I contacted Microsoft Support using the Contact Support app chat who referred me to post the issue this forum and also said that the issue is under investigation.

Does anyone have more information on this issue? And can the files be saved somehow?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow the below link and check the suggestion’s provided by Andre Da Costa, Wiki Author and check if it helps:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/windows-7-to-10-upgrade-truecrypt-71a/0f1c2051-5952-4798-aaf3-874b1b486d04

Hope it helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your reply.

I've managed to find another post that describes and discusses this problem in more detail: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/transferring-wav-audio-files/50bbf42f-84a7-44b9-ab57-8784b5606d09

It turns out this only happens to external SD/CF USB card readers that contain WAV-files.

It's a bug confirmed and experienced by a large number of people working with audio recording.

As I posted in that thread, I found a way to rescue the files that are corrupted, but the root problem, bug and behavior remains.

I managed to recover my files that were lost/corrupt. It won't make the initial problem go away, but it will let you save the files that Windows 10 destroyed in the first place.

Windows 10 corrupts the header of the wav-file, but the audio wave forms are intact. Here is what I did to recover my files:

1) Put the memory card reader in my Windows 8.1 laptop and copied the files to my Windows 10 computer

2) Opened the file in a HEX editor (I used a freeware editor named HxD: http://mh-nexus.de/en/programs.php)

3) Edited the header and added RIFF to the first four bytes of the file. It now plays and loads into sound editors.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

ThofikhAhamad,

This problem is really starting to affect a lot of professional users. Needs to be escalated quickly for a fix.

http://sounddevices.com/support/tech-notes/sound-devices-technical-alert-2

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't use my normal workflow until this bug is fixed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've gotten more deeply involved in this, there is a team at Microsoft working on it, outside of tech support channels, and there will be a solution very soon. Hang tight for another day or two.

Charlie        

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That's great news!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I found that Windows 10 re-wrote the headers on the WAV files on the Sound Devices 788 internal hard drive as well as on the fat32 CF card. I hope that is also fixed. It's scary to face the loss of an entire recording session.

No problem with WAV files on a NTFS CF card from a Sound Devices 702

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well. No problem here.

My steps:
1. Inserted a 2GB SanDisk SD card into my W8.1 desktop computer, using a SanDisk USB card reader.
2. Formatted the SD card as FAT32 with default 4k sector size.
3. Copied a 380MB Cubase 192k 32bit float wave file to it. It played OK in WMP.
4. Inserted the SD card & reader into a Win10 tablet.
5. Double-clicked on the file. It played OK in Groove.
6. Re-inserted the SD card & reader back into the desktop computer. It played OK in WMP.

Note that the file did not show as encrypted after being in the W10 system.

Now, just to test how the header could be edited, on the SD card, I:
1. Opened the wav file in Notepad++.
2. Replaced the 'RIFF' at the start with 'XXXX', and saved it.
3. WMP indicated the file was corrupt.
4. Re-opened the file in Notepad++.
5. Replaced the 'XXXX' with 'RIFF', and saved it.
6. WMP played the file without problems.

I suspect that recent updates may have fixed this, unless the circumstances where it occurs are more particular than so far indicated. I did these tests at about 2015-08-19 10:00:00 UTC (20:00:00 AEST).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

was this ever fixed?? Because i'm getting this same problem with WAV files that are stored on a CF card. 

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

was this ever fixed?? Because i'm getting this same problem with WAV files that are stored on a CF card. 

Yes, this was fixed last year, assuming we're talking about Sound Devices Broadcast WAV files stored on FAT32.

The issue, as well as something to fix Broadcast WAV files that have been corrupted, is on my GitHub here:

https://github.com/Psychlist1972/Fix-SoundDevices-File-Corruption

It only impacts files written by Sound Devices recorders, because they use a reserved bit for something other than what we use it for.

If you are up to date with Windows 10, you shouldn't be seeing any new file corruption. Can you tell me what device you're seeing this on?

Pete

Microsoft | @pete_brown

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 3, 2024 Views 10,337 Applies to: