Moving windows 10 to a new drive

Recently i bought a notebook where genuine windows 10 is already installed. But unfortunately it just has a SATA 1TB hdd and it is rather slower sometimes. So now i want to move to a SSD drive. But the question is my genuine windows... Will i be able to move this genuine windows 10 from my old HDD to a new SSD? And also i was not given any windows installation disk when i bought my laptop...plz help me...

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

|

Ravija,

Yes, you can install & activate Windows again on your new SSD.  I assume that your existing Windows is activated - this is essential so check first in Settings, Update & security, Activation.

You can make your own installation disk - see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install 

When you boot from the installation disk and run the installation you will be asked once or twice to enter the product key but, instead, you should use the bypass options that are given in the dialogs concerned [I am reinstalling / I do not have one / Not yet / ... - the wording keeps changing]. 

When you finish installation open up Settings, Update & security, Activation so that you can watch its state change.  Then go online and it will activate automatically without any product key being needed.  This can take as little as a few seconds but can sometimes take longer - you can always force it to check activation by clicking on the button but I have never had to.

• This whole scheme is radically different to previous Windows versions where you needed to enter a product key. 
  • Now, providing that it was activated originally, your computer just contacts the MS activation servers, finds the record of the previous activation and re-activates without any other action being needed.
  • This automatic re-activation procedure takes place despite changing some hardware such as disks but will not happen for pre-installed Windows such as yours if you change the motherboard or CPU.

Denis

Try*3 - a user
Dell Inspirons 7779, 1545, 9300; Windows 10 Home x64 & Pro x86; Office Pro 2007; HP DJ2540; HTC UPlay [Android 6.0], MyPhoneExplorer

111 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, you can move it.

You didn't get an installation DVD because you instead got a recovery partition on the drive. The first thing you should have done when you got the computer was to follow the manufacturer's instructions to copy the contents of that partition to a DVD so you have something if the drive dies. Do it now.

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, you have a couple options for moving the installation:

Option 1: you can create a recovery drive, install the new SSD then reinstall Windows 10:

How to: Create a Recovery Drive for reinstalling Windows 10

Option 2:

You can download the Media Creation Tool. create a bootable copy then perform a clean install:

Step 1: How to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2: How to: Perform a clean install of Windows 10

Option 3: You can clone the existing install to the SSD:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/clone-move-windows-10-data-larger-ssd-disk-drive/

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate. You will prompted to enter a product key a couple times through the installation, click I don't have a key and Do this later.

There is no need to know or get a new key, but if you have issues with Digital Licensing or the Activation Troubleshooter, you can utilize an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key you already ownto reactivate if necessary. or use the reset function in Windows 10.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

51 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message
Thank you for the soon reply... I have a hp laptop (hp notebook 15 ay104tu{https://support.hp.com/ee-en/document/c05315776}) will I be able to do that with this laptop?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the soon reply? Really will it be activated automatically?

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the soon reply

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the soon reply...

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ravija,

1  You had quick responses because you explained your question well. 

2  Yes, if your previous Windows 10 was activated then the new installation will also get activated.

3  Ken Blake made a good point - before removing your old drive, check your HP manual & their support website if necessary to see if they provide a method for extracting their "factory restore" partition to a USB memory stick**. 

• Using that to reinstall will ensure that you have all the correct drivers straightaway.
  • There might still be useful driver updates [through Windows update or on the HP site] that have been published since your "factory restore" partition was created.
  • There will also be standard Windows updates [through Windows update] because the "factory restore" partition was only fully up-to-date the day it was created.

4  [**  All computer companies are different so they adopt different solutions to the issue of reinstallation.  HP might or might not allow you to transfer the "factory restore" partition to a USB memory stick.  They might help you in a different way by providing, say, an ISO file you can download and turn into an installation USB {in which case they will provide instructions for doing so}.  Only your computer manual, the HP website {including its user forums} or other users of your computer model can tell you what HP do for your computer model.]

5  YuanSR also made a good point.  I have also transferred everything to a new SSD from the original HDD using a system image.  Using the "factory restore" partition method or the normal install method [my first post] are more straightforward in my opinion.  If you are comfortable with using the procedure that YuanSR gave you a link to then by all means do it that way.  I have been using system images for many years and am always comfortable with using them but I do not know if a major task such as this would be alright for somebody who is not already familiar with system images - hence my caution.

6  I have not seen anybody else refer to slowness when talking about a recently bought computer.  Perhaps you could raise a separate question in this forum describing that slowness and asking for advice.  Perhaps it is something that the HP website or the HP user forums can help you with as well.  You might find a solution that is cheaper & easier than buying an SSD.

Denis

Try*3 - a user
Dell Inspirons 7779, 1545, 9300; Windows 10 Home x64 & Pro x86; Office Pro 2007; HP DJ2540; HTC UPlay [Android 6.0], MyPhoneExplorer

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 3, 2021 Views 351,621 Applies to: