"Location is unavailable" for C: folder.

Because of the recent photobucket fiasco, I decided to transfer my saved photos on my computer to a different website.  I keep all my photos under a sub-folder on my Desktop folder and it's called "pictures".  I literally had over 1,000 pictures in this folder.

After a quick little upload problem on the website when I tried to post just a few pictures, suddenly I couldn't open my "pictures" folder, an error comes up call "Location is unavailable" with the text "C\users\Jeff\Desktop\pictures is unavaliable.  If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or internet, and then try again. If the location still can't be found, it might have been moved or deleted."

I've tried reading other website on how to fix the problem, but most of them seem to be about "system32", which this is not.  This is just in regards to the one siingle folder with all of my pictures in it.

Is there any way I can get my pictures back?  Or are they lost forever?

Answer
Answer

Hi Jeff,

This error message usually appears when the hard drive files get damaged or corrupted. Restoring folder's default location or recovering the data and formatting the disk would help diagnose and address this problem. Make sure to log in as the administrator. Follow the steps below:

• To restore to default location.

1. Go to C:\Users.
2. Open the folder name with your user name.
3. Right-click on the desktop and select Properties.
4. Under the Location tab, click the Restore Default button.
5. Once done, restart your PC.

• Verify the permissions set on the file.

1. Open File Explorer.

2. Right-click the file folder and select Properties.

3. Go to Security and select Advanced.

4. Check the box for Replace all child object permission entries with permission entries from this object at bottom.

5. Click Apply, then OK.

Once done, try accessing the folder again and let us know how it goes.

Regards.

27 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 22, 2020 Views 23,246 Applies to: