"File History" saves multiple copies of MP3 files (until all available space on disk is consumed)

I store all of my music on a separate drive (E: - Data02) from the C: drive and I configured File History to copy files from: Libraries, Desktop, Contacts, and Favorites. File History is configured to use a different drive (F: - Backup01).

This morning I discovered the Backup01 drive (F:) ran out of space. The following screenshot illustrates the disk usage on the backup drive:

The following screenshot shows a "drilldown" on the E folder on the Backup01 drive:

Notice that the Music folder is consuming roughly 560 GB of space. However, the music files on the source drive (E: - Data02) only consume about 27 GB of space. In other words, File History has managed to consume 21 times more space on the Backup01 drive than the files on the Data02 drive.

Digging into the issue, I discovered that File History is creating a new version of each file roughly once a day -- as you can see in the following screenshot:

My initial suspicion was that each MP3 file was somehow getting "touched" daily -- for example, to update the file metadata. However, I looked at the SHA1 checksum on a couple of the files and they are identical -- so I can't see any reason why a new copy of the files are being made on a daily basis.

Unfortunately, the Date modified field for all of the files copied to the Backup01 drive reflect the dates of the original files -- as you can see from the screenshot above -- thus making it difficult to purge the older versions of the backup files. (To free up space, I thought I could just search for all files, sort them by date descending, and then delete the oldest ones.)

As a "quick fix", I simply deleted all of the E folder in the Backup01 drive. However, I anticipate that has only bought me a couple of weeks before File History once again consumes all available space (by making daily copies of files that do not appear to be changing).

Any comments or recommendations on what appears to be a particularly nasty bug?

Question Info

Last updated April 9, 2019 Views 1,277 Applies to:

I have a similar problem and to date I have been unable to find a solution or workaround. I have tried excluding large folders like music folders, since I already back those up to a separate external drive. File History ignores my exclude settings and continues to back up what it thinks should be backed up.

Currently, I have turned off File History entirely. I hope Windows 10 at least respects THIS setting.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Ugh...I logged in this morning and discovered it only took 6 days to once again fill up the backup drive.

Ouch. Apparently I will have to disable File History on this content until the bug in Windows 10 has been fixed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yikes...the Exclude Folders feature in File History appears to be broken as well:

"Exclude from File History" does not exclude folder

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem, and I solved in this way:

Control Panel -> System and Security-> File History -> Turn off

Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> More options -> Stop using this drive

Delete the File History folder in your external drive.

Start using File History again.

After these steps, I can add folders to "Excluded Folders" and they remain excluded. I checked in the actual files and folders saved on the external disk, and it works.

I did not modify the default settings about how often and how long backup is saved, File History is working ok now. So I guess it is important to click "Stop using this drive" in order to reset File History.

Hope this can help you. 

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem - instructions of Vincenzo did help!

I also did put all users (hidden) Appdata -folders to exclude -list before I started using File History again.

Thanks

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This has no effect for me. I still have the same issue reported above.

Microsoft when are you going to rollout the patch to fix this or do we all need to use another brand of software and turn this file history(aka file useless) off.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is simply a bug in FIle History which fails to check whether a file has changed from the latest copy on the backup drive before making another copy.

So every time File History runs it copies every file afresh, rapidly exhausting the available disk space.

Fundamentally this makes File History completely useless.

Microsoft - please fix this.

Sorry this didn't help.