File Explorer Crashing, Windows 10 - nothing's working!

Hi, I am aware there are countless other posts regarding this issue already but I have tried several things now and nothing is working. 
My file explorer was closing when I right clicked on anything (to rename a file for example). The button on the keyboard that performs the same function is also causing the same thing to happen. It would work some times but not others, I looked on here and followed advice given to various people experiencing the same problem:

Ran Anti Malware; no threats detected. 
Put computer in safe mode; problem persisted.
Performed Clean Boot; problem persisted - worsened.

Now whenever I right click the entire thing crashes and the whole screen flashes up blank/green for a second before returning to desktop. 

I then tried the option suggested here but still no luck. 

Can somebody help because I'm right in the middle of exams at Uni and this is a bloody nightmare. 

Hi Wilko,

Your disappointments are noted in this regard. To meet the concern, it will be a good idea to perform Safe Modein order to isolate the issue. If the issue has gone away in Safe Mode, we need to consider checking the Startup items on your computer.

Crashing Windows File Explorer could be caused by system conflict, which is further to be determined which app is responsible.

Meanwhile, try to run sfc /scannow and see if it will be able to fix corrupted system files. It is best to perform SFC multiple times, regardless if it was able to fixed an error or there are system files that could not be repaired.

Let us know if it helps.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Can you do the following:

Windows Key + S > type view all then click on "View all problem reports Control panel"

Can you right-click on a few of the "Windows Explorer" "Stopped working" errors > View technical details

What are the details of the errors?

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here you are: 

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The issue is with the converttopdfshellextension_x64.dll which is the "Fault Module".

The converttopdfshellextension_x64.dll may be a component of Foxit PhantomPDF.

So uninstall Foxit PhantomPDF if it is installed.

You could try reinstalling the software afterwards.

If you have an ASUS computer you could alternatively try the following link from Foxit:

https://help.foxitsoftware.com/kb/windows-explorer-would-crash-when-right-clicked-on-any-file.php 

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been experiencing the same frustrating problem for at least 6 months. I've tried everything to fix this issue but nothing worked until now. I uninstalled the Foxit PhantomPDF and my file explorer is finally working again! Thank you very very much!

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In my case the culprit was DisplayLink USB driver. At some point Microsoft has replaced DisplayLink USB driver with their own. As a result File Explorer was crashing randomly. When I reinstalled the latest version of DisplayLink driver crashes stopped. Obviously File Explorer in Windows is a weak point since there are so many ways to make it crash, Just Google it and you will see that the problem with File Explorer crashing appears again and again with many different reasons.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 15, 2020 Views 46,142 Applies to: